We have had chickens for about 2 months now, No eggs at all.

jordanfmly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014

Ok. My Husband and I are very new Chicken owners. We do not know what we are doing quite yet. We have a Black hen, 4 silver wing tip hens and a Rooster. They are quite different looking. We started with the black hen and a Red hen. However the Red hen died. The black one is doing just fine . We have since added the 4 hens and rooster. They all get along very well. I give them treats, grit,cracked corn, fresh Water. Never received an egg from the Black Chicken and still none from the newer girls. The weather here in Alabama is nice. Cool 50's to 65's at night still, 70's most days. Didn't know if they just stop at this point. I have since learned since getting these girls and Boy that we have made many mistakes along the way, Learning everyday how to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated and wanted! Please do not judge my lack of chicken lingo and knowledge, that's why I NEED all of you until I learn.. :)

welcome-byc.gif
Your birds appear to be game crosses of some sort. They have not been bred/selected for maximum egg production and frequently tend to be seasonal layers - laying a clutch of eggs, going broody, raising a brood of chicks and then repeating the process. They are beautiful, but you may want to add some 'layer' breeds if egg production is your major goal.

Thank You.. They are very majestic looking, We aquired them from a man who trains horses, he said they helped to keep the horses used to distractions, would even perch on the horses back. He had an Irish accent, so not sure where he got the hens. We will look into adding more. we have only the one black chicken that is different and more of a laying hen I would assume. Although the man told us they were laying eggs and having chicks. We will get this all figured out. I am just in Love with having them. thanks again.

Is it possible they are still young? The female pictured looks young, her comb is very pale. If she is older, then she may be recovering from a molt. How long ago did you add the new birds? Changes in the flock can cause them to quit laying as well.

We have only had them for a month,maybe little less. We just introduced our Other chicken to them, about a week and half ago. They seem to have worked their pecking order back and seem very content. I do believe they are young.

Ok. My Husband and I are very new Chicken owners. We do not know what we are doing quite yet. We have a Black hen, 4 silver wing tip hens and a Rooster. They are quite different looking. We started with the black hen and a Red hen. However the Red hen died. The black one is doing just fine . We have since added the 4 hens and rooster. They all get along very well. I give them treats, grit,cracked corn, fresh Water. Never received an egg from the Black Chicken and still none from the newer girls. The weather here in Alabama is nice. Cool 50's to 65's at night still, 70's most days. Didn't know if they just stop at this point. I have since learned since getting these girls and Boy that we have made many mistakes along the way, Learning everyday how to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated and wanted! Please do not judge my lack of chicken lingo and knowledge, that's why I NEED all of you until I learn.. :)
Do you feed them a 16% layer feed? Corn and treats are too low in protein for egg production, even if they free range. Try feeding them only chicken feed and putting out some crushed oyster shell on the side (a 50 lb bag will last a long, long time for $10.) I have a few faverolles that don't lay well. That may be why the previous owner sold them to you. A good layer will average 3 or 4 eggs a week, and the production birds will lay almost every day for a shorter time. With the shorter hours of daylight in the fall, laying will naturally slow down. Many of us will put a light on a timer in the coop to come on around 5 AM to provide at least 12 hours of daylight, which seems to be the minimum amount of light they need. Also you might need to worm them.

Thank You. I will take your advice. Can I get crushed oyster shells at the Feed and Seed store?? I did give them some Pumpkin seeds and pulp this morning, I was reading it was very good for them and a natural de wormer? I dont know, I had some, They seem to LOVE it..

Back
Top Bottom