We have nest boxes. Now what?

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Well we have our nest boxes up and have straw in them. My oldest birds who are white leghorns are 13 weeks old so they won't be laying for a few more weeks.
My question is how do they know they are supposed to lay the egg in the nest box? Is there something I need to be doing so they know?
I'm sorry for my ignorance. I am new.
tongue.png

I have a few egg gourds. They really are the shape and size of eggs, but weigh next to nothing. Could I use them instead of golf balls?

Ok then I guess I will just watch in the nest boxes. The only bird interested in the boxes so far is my cockerel. They are born NOSY! Well mine was anyway.
I can't wait until I get an egg.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Good Luck with your girls, I read that golf balls work and will try it myself if my girls have are confussed -
big_smile.png

Let us know when you get one!

They will sit on just about anything that is round. Old door knobs, light bulbs and golf balls. My dad used to pass the time whittling wooden eggs for the hens.

That said, my hens still won't lay in their nest. They find the oddest places to lay.

Rufus

try a plastic easter egg if you want weight just put a few rocks or something in it. but be sure to tape it shut otherwise theyll peck it open i know mine did;)

All the above advice is great...I'll add one more thing.

You might want to consider blocking off the boxes for a few more weeks until they are closer to laying age to make sure they don't decide the boxes look better for sleeping than laying eggs.

It's hard to break them of the habit of sleeping in the nest boxes and you'll end up with really dirty eggs.

Back
Top Bottom