We just accidentally ordered from The Chick Hatchery. Anyone have experience with them?

counterWULF

Songster
Aug 19, 2018
Our first batch of chicks came on June 1, 2018 from The Poultry Hatchery in NY. They were highly recommended by many experienced friends around the US who have raised chickens. We had a great experience with them and planned to get more this year. They have been reworking their website and were set to launch on March 1st: TODAY!

So we waited patiently until this morning, gathered everyone around the computer, got on the newly refreshed website, and found the breeds we wanted. Everything looked right as the first time, and all of the same breeds were there. After we placed our order, we watched a video on the side bar about a woman who mentioned her chicks came from Michigan. I found it odd that our NY hatchery would promote a video about another hatchery instead of their own. That's when I noticed the address of this new website: Michigan. WHAT!?!? Maybe The Poultry Hatchery moved?

I was duped. This new place is called The Chick Hatchery. The light bulb never went off when I saw the refreshed page with what I thought was a new logo and possible new name. Now after some digging, it seems that while ThePoultryHatchery.com's website was down, The Chick Hatchery must've purchased it and redirected all of their business to TheChickHatchery.com. I initially was given an error message when clicking on the link directly from The Poultry Hatchery's Facebook page. The error message asks you to RELOAD the page, and when you do, it takes you over to The Chick Hatchery's main page. Very shady in the name of competition.

So our order has been placed. I don't know anything about this place, nor do I know if it is similarly recommended as much as the Poultry Hatchery. I liked that the chicks were coming to us in PA from up above in NY. Now they'll be coming from MI. Doubt that matters much as they should be kept heated during transport.

Please fill me in with what you know. I'm very upset that I missed this and made this mistake.

Our first batch of chicks came on June 1, 2018 from The Poultry Hatchery in NY. They were highly recommended by many experienced friends around the US who have raised chickens. We had a great experience with them and planned to get more this year. They have been reworking their website and were set to launch on March 1st: TODAY!

So we waited patiently until this morning, gathered everyone around the computer, got on the newly refreshed website, and found the breeds we wanted. Everything looked right as the first time, and all of the same breeds were there. After we placed our order, we watched a video on the side bar about a woman who mentioned her chicks came from Michigan. I found it odd that our NY hatchery would promote a video about another hatchery instead of their own. That's when I noticed the address of this new website: Michigan. WHAT!?!? Maybe The Poultry Hatchery moved?

I was duped. This new place is called The Chick Hatchery. The light bulb never went off when I saw the refreshed page with what I thought was a new logo and possible new name. Now after some digging, it seems that while ThePoultryHatchery.com's website was down, The Chick Hatchery must've purchased it and redirected all of their business to TheChickHatchery.com. I initially was given an error message when clicking on the link directly from The Poultry Hatchery's Facebook page. The error message asks you to RELOAD the page, and when you do, it takes you over to The Chick Hatchery's main page. Very shady in the name of competition.

So our order has been placed. I don't know anything about this place, nor do I know if it is similarly recommended as much as the Poultry Hatchery. I liked that the chicks were coming to us in PA from up above in NY. Now they'll be coming from MI. Doubt that matters much as they should be kept heated during transport.

Please fill me in with what you know. I'm very upset that I missed this and made this mistake.

Can you on purpose UN-order your chicks from that hatchery by calling them and telling them that you were attempting to order from The Poultry Hatchery? If they give you any problems, that is yet another red flag. At that point I would contact the issuer of the credit card you used to pay for the order and stop the payment after explaining what happened.
Good luck.
BTW, I've never heard of either hatchery. I'm in NY and I use Meyer Hatchery.

Maybe the first place sold their business to the other place?

Sorry I haven't been back with an update. So yeah, the Chick Hatchery bought the domain of the Poultry Hatchery. The PH is very upset about it. He was grateful I brought it to his attention.

The good news is that the chicks arrived a week ago and so far are all healthy. They hatched last Wed and arrived Thurs afternoon. We got everything we ordered plus 2 extras, just like last time (from the other hatchery). So far so good. These chicks were drop-shipped from Cackle Hatchery in MO. I think they are a well-known hatchery. So tCH is a middle-man in MI. Either way, we are happy it all went smooth.

Thanks for the update! Did the Poultry Hatchery say whether they're going to get back into shipping chicks and get a new website?
He is. It might take time. He mentioned not being able to ship chicks for a few more months. Of course that could always change and he might ship sooner. Right now he was only allowing people to come to his farm to pick up chicks in person. But that was probably 3 weeks ago. I have not followed up with him on what he's doing currently. I'm sure you could ask him on FB. That's how I was able to chat with him. Thanks for asking and good luck. Next year I'll be ordering from him again just based on the fact that I feel bad supporting someone who is into stealing other people's websites. Luckily for us it all went smooth and the chicks are healthy so far. Fingers crossed it remains this way.

Hello,
Let’s clear this up right now! The Chick Hatchery was told that the Poultry Hatchery was going out of business last fall. The Poultry Hatchery had a Domain name that they did not renew. The Domain name went to auction on Godaddy.com and The Chick Hatchery won the auction to own the Domain Name called thePoultryHatchery.com. Nothing Shady at all. The Chick hatchery decided to purchase the Domain name since it was similar to theirs. The Poultry Hatchery can only be upset with themselves for letting the Domain name lapse and go to Auction.

Last edited:
Can you on purpose UN-order your chicks from that hatchery by calling them and telling them that you were attempting to order from The Poultry Hatchery? If they give you any problems, that is yet another red flag. At that point I would contact the issuer of the credit card you used to pay for the order and stop the payment after explaining what happened.
Good luck.
BTW, I've never heard of either hatchery. I'm in NY and I use Meyer Hatchery.

I've been trying to bring it to the attention of The Poultry Hatchery that someone "stole" their domain. Their voicemail says they reopen today, but are only filling orders that you pickup. They are not shipping out chicks until later, which could be months. We've already been waiting patiently for months for March 1st to arrive.

So I'm hoping to hear back from people on here about The Chick Hatchery and if people have had positive experiences from them with healthy chicks, I might keep our order. My first thought was to cancel just on the basis that I felt cheated with the domain switch-a-roo.

The Poultry Hatchery official farm name is Catch-a-Torri Farms in Clifton Springs, NY.

I've been trying to bring it to the attention of The Poultry Hatchery that someone "stole" their domain. Their voicemail says they reopen today, but are only filling orders that you pickup. They are not shipping out chicks until later, which could be months. We've already been waiting patiently for months for March 1st to arrive.

So I'm hoping to hear back from people on here about The Chick Hatchery and if people have had positive experiences from them with healthy chicks, I might keep our order. My first thought was to cancel just on the basis that I felt cheated with the domain switch-a-roo.

The Poultry Hatchery official farm name is Catch-a-Torri Farms in Clifton Springs, NY.

The Chick Hatchery has a 4.7 star rating on Google for 20 reviews. Not bad. Not a lot of reviews but I didn't bother to look to see how long they've been in business. I guess it is up to you if you want to take the chance and allow them to process the order. If you do, let us know how it all works out.

Hello,

Let’s nip this in the butt right now! The Poultry Hatchery had a Domain name that they did not renew. The Domain name went to auction on Godaddy.com and The Chick Hatchery won the auction to own the Domain Name called thePoultryHatchery.com. Nothing Shady at all. The Poultry Hatchery May be upset they lost their Domain name but it’s their own fault!

Back
Top Bottom