We Lost a Bobwhite

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Willowspirit, Sep 9, 2019.

1. This morning my husband was putting food in the quail pen and one of our bobwhite cocks got out. My hubby tried to catch him but he got away. He flew over the fence onto the roof of the horse shelter and disappeared a minute later from there. Any hope that he will come back to the coop at night? Any hope of finding him? Attracting him?

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I think there is a better chance of you finding him by looking than him showing back up to the pen.

3. I was afraid of that. It’s raining like crazy right now. Is he likely to be in a tree?

4. RGBEverything

RGBEverything In the Brooder

Sep 8, 2019
    Just keep a hen in a small area and he should come roost with her at night. And then you can catch him easily unless he’s found a wild girl out there

Willowspirit likes this.
  5. He came back to the coop and the others about twilight. My husband blocked him in a small area. We missed catching him and he got by my hubby. So we put a dim light near the coop in hopes he’ll come back. I’ll go out before dawn in hopes.

I forgot to say also that we put a bucket on its side out with some hay and food for shelter.

Danny C., Texas Kiki and Nabiki like this.
  6. RGBEverything

RGBEverything In the Brooder

Sep 8, 2019
    Get a fishing net that’s how I used to catch wild chickens. Lol yes someone’s chickens got out and they had chicks and the chicks had chicks it was the process of years but they were truly wild chickens and we caught them with hoop nets

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Usually they will return to the pen, if something doesn't get them before you can catch'em. A recall trap works great for catching escapees.

Danny C., Willowspirit and sourland like this.
  8. You were all right! This morning our barn helper spotted him in a run we keep open for chickens. It’s next door to his run. After some wrangling hubby caught him and now he’s home. I’m so relieved!

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I’ll look into the trap. I kept wishing I had one.

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Glad this story has a happy ending!

10. I am so relieved!

BigBlueHen53 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: