Slipped on quail's head, is he okay?

karoopatroopa

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
Today my six-month-old coturnix quail was walking around and he was trying to get closer to my mom (he really likes my mom) and she accidentally slipped on his head. She didn't stomp on his head though, I don't think she put her whole body weight on his head. After that, he ran away with his head tucked into his body and he had one of his eyes closed. He didn't run very fast, he was more like quickly walking and he hid a little but didn't go very far and he just sat there with his eye closed. I went to him to check if he was okay and he wouldn't open his eye but eventually, it opened but I think it's still a little closed, I think it might not be as wide open as the other one and I'm just very worried and want to make sure he's okay. He continued walking normally I think and on the surface, he looks like he's fine but I just want to make sure that he is actually okay. It might've just been shock or something but I just want to make sure. I felt his head and his skull seemed to be okay and he's a little more quiet right now but I'm not sure if that's just because he's understandably a little on edge. I tried giving him some mealworms and he usually eats them immediately once he sees them but he wasn't in the mood so I left them with his food which he eventually ate. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I think when my mom slipped on his head, her slipper might've been following with the skin on his head across his skull rather than her slipper going against his whole head? If that makes any sense. I notice that he leans a certain way when he walks normally but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid or not and he doesn't seem to express being in pain so I'm just not sure anymore.

Might not be necessary: When he was really young, still a chick, I accidentally dropped him from my hands while standing (I'm around 5'3) and I think he landed on his back. I was scared because he seemed really confused and disoriented and he wasn't able to stand or walk. I don't think he was able to balance himself and I was afraid he could've suffered some sort of damage to his brain or his head and his neck seemed very wobbly. Somehow got better within that same hour and he started walking, eating, and drinking normally and I was very stressed and confused. I'm not sure if this information is necessary, I just included it in case it might've potentially added to some sort of trauma he has.

Thank you for your time, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Update: It is currently the next day and he can open both eyes but is resting a lot more and keeping the left eye (the one that was closed yesterday) closed a lot more too. I'm not sure, I think his eye may hurt a lot or have something discomforting it. I will hopefully be able to bring him to an avian vet soon because I'm really scared that he may actually injured and I don't want anything to be left on treated. I will also make some sugar water for him to drink later today so that he hopefully feels a little better. Thank you for the advice and comments, they are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Today my six-month-old coturnix quail was walking around and he was trying to get closer to my mom (he really likes my mom) and she accidentally slipped on his head. She didn't stomp on his head though, I don't think she put her whole body weight on his head. After that, he ran away with his head tucked into his body and he had one of his eyes closed. He didn't run very fast, he was more like quickly walking and he hid a little but didn't go very far and he just sat there with his eye closed. I went to him to check if he was okay and he wouldn't open his eye but eventually, it opened but I think it's still a little closed, I think it might not be as wide open as the other one and I'm just very worried and want to make sure he's okay. He continued walking normally I think and on the surface, he looks like he's fine but I just want to make sure that he is actually okay. It might've just been shock or something but I just want to make sure. I felt his head and his skull seemed to be okay and he's a little more quiet right now but I'm not sure if that's just because he's understandably a little on edge. I tried giving him some mealworms and he usually eats them immediately once he sees them but he wasn't in the mood so I left them with his food which he eventually ate. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I think when my mom slipped on his head, her slipper might've been following with the skin on his head across his skull rather than her slipper going against his whole head? If that makes any sense. I notice that he leans a certain way when he walks normally but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid or not and he doesn't seem to express being in pain so I'm just not sure anymore.

Might not be necessary: When he was really young, still a chick, I accidentally dropped him from my hands while standing (I'm around 5'3) and I think he landed on his back. I was scared because he seemed really confused and disoriented and he wasn't able to stand or walk. I don't think he was able to balance himself and I was afraid he could've suffered some sort of damage to his brain or his head and his neck seemed very wobbly. Somehow got better within that same hour and he started walking, eating, and drinking normally and I was very stressed and confused. I'm not sure if this information is necessary, I just included it incase it might've potentially added to some sort of trauma he has.

Thank you for your time, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I'll try to tag you some help!
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@aart
@azygous

Might not be necessary: When he was really young, still a chick, I accidentally dropped him from my hands while standing (I'm around 5'3) and I think he landed on his back. I was scared because he seemed really confused and disoriented and he wasn't able to stand or walk. I don't think he was able to balance himself and I was afraid he could've suffered some sort of damage to his brain or his head and his neck seemed very wobbly. Somehow got better within that same hour and he started walking, eating, and drinking normally and I was very stressed and confused. I'm not sure if this information is necessary, I just included it incase it might've potentially added to some sort of trauma he has.

It very well could just be shock. I would keep a very close eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom