Worried about a chick

Patiocoturnix

🦠
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2023
West central Florida
I have a quail who just hatched yesterday he hatched 1/4 size as the rest I was dumb and incubated a tiny egg now he’s just been screaming his head off no idea why he’s staggering around like he’s drunk and he I guess chooses not to use his eyes as everytime I look at him they are almost always closed they do open. Could he be blind? And just can’t see the rest?
@Nabiki @Kiki i need your help.

I have a quail who just hatched yesterday he hatched 1/4 size as the rest I was dumb and incubated a tiny egg now he’s just been screaming his head off no idea why he’s staggering around like he’s drunk and he I guess chooses not to use his eyes as everytime I look at him they are almost always closed they do open. Could he be blind? And just can’t see the rest?
@Nabiki @Kiki i need your help.
For more info I have given sugar water to boost energy and I have put him back in the incubator with the other eggs as he was getting bullied pretty hard.

I hate to say this, but it sounds like it may be blind and doesn't have a good chance. I would probably cull rather than let it suffer.

Pics would help, though.
That’s what I was thinking just wanted to see if anyone else knew what I could do

On another note after the sugar water and a night in the bator he is way more active eyes open and not staggering as much

He is the same age as the other chick in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4252.jpeg
    IMG_4252.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4251.jpeg
    IMG_4251.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 8
It looks like a button chick! It doesn't look too bad, so you might try some Nutri-Drench. It has the sugar (molasses) and some bird nutrients, so it might help. If you're lucky you'll have a dwarf pet, less lucky and it will quietly pass away one day, worst luck it will suffer and you'll have to cull.

It doesn't look that bad off....Nutri-Drench would be the best thing to give it but if sugar water is all you got, then do that ....but not too much!
I sadly had to cull the poor baby he wasn’t doing good and was suffering just sprawled out not moving. Here’s a pic of him right before I culled him you can tell he wasn’t doing good. Thank you both for your help it was very much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom