we may be getting new chickens soon, what is the best breed to choose? POLL!

What is your highly recommended breed?

• Easter Egger

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • White Leghorn

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Cochin

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Buff Orpington

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Plymouth Rock

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Wyandotte

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Silkie

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Golden Comet

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • New Hampshire

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Ohio
Hey BYC!
I was wondering what breeds you guys like, because we may be getting new chickens soon. This is a poll, and I want you to choose what breed you highly recommend. I want a breed that:

Is not very noisy.
Friendly and non-aggressive.
Good egg layer.
That makes a good pet.
Is not usually broody.
Of course, i want it to be funny!

Thanks everyone!

Is not very noisy--Australorps are determined to announce to the world their egg-laying prowess.
Friendly and non-aggressive--Barred rocks are noted for being upper-pecking order in the coop, if that's what you mean. Rhode Island Red Roosters are out!
Good egg layer--cross off the cochin. And the silkie.
That makes a good pet--many people like leghorns for their frankly awe-inspiring egg production, but they're flighty and paranoid compared to my other chickens.
Is not usually broody. Again, cross off the cochin and the silkie. And the Buff Orpington as well.

Is not very noisy--Australorps are determined to announce to the world their egg-laying prowess.
Friendly and non-aggressive--Barred rocks are noted for being upper-pecking order in the coop, if that's what you mean. Rhode Island Red Roosters are out!
Good egg layer--cross off the cochin. And the silkie.
That makes a good pet--many people like leghorns for their frankly awe-inspiring egg production, but they're flighty and paranoid compared to my other chickens.
Is not usually broody. Again, cross off the cochin and the silkie. And the Buff Orpington as well.
I have an australorp that CLUCKS ALL THE TIME. She clucks when she's standing. She clucks when she's walking around. She clucks when she's being held. She even clucks when she is sleeping.

My Australorpes are very quiet. I never hear a peep out of them.

EE are quirky, have fun personalities. They can be shy and skittish, or they can be very friendly. My noisiest bird is an Ameraucana, and one of her daughters is also a screecher. The Am mama is a friendly gal, and lays nice blue eggs, otherwise, she'd be on the short cull list. My experience with EE is that they are good layers.

Want friendly? Dominique. Egg size is a bit smaller, but their personality makes up for this lack.

I place PBR close second for friendliness. Nice layer of large eggs.

IMO, given any breed, you may find good and bad layers, quiet and noisy, friendly and aloof birds. It's not always a breed thing, but an individual thing.

Back
Top Bottom