We might be moving out of the city!!!

Quote:
you may want to investigate the potential in raising meat rabbits and emu as well. you really sound up to the challenge !!!!

I've thought about rabbits and emu however I want to start small and work my way up. I'm only getting maybe 8 cows to start and 6 goats. I figure that is a good small start. We'd like to open a small farmers market or sell to a local farmers market. I am also planning on making the 2 hour drive up on fridays to see my parents and to peddle my wares to the people....lol.

Good for you. I've been a city boy all my life and moved out to the country last year. You could not drag me back. We are just on a small property of 5 acres. We have 4 calves and I have a small flock of laying hens. We just got six Bantams to have around.We are working on getting a few lambs for meat. Today I am really gearing up to put in the veggie garden. I have a lot of three to four week old starts I want to get in the ground. Good luck to you you will love every minute.

OP -- It might be good for you to get on BackYardCows and do a little research about farming over there, too.
wink.png

Quote:
I wouldnt count out option one..look at resale,because you may decide to move again in 10-20 years..mobile or prefab homes can be bought pretty cheap these days,,I have seen some for sale with just taking over the loan..but you would need to put in septic and well..personally I would go with option one

Quote:
I am happy for you,,but you do realize that if you have even 40 acres in the crops you said,,you will need to be very aggressive about sales or you will be over run with veggies and lots will go to waste..you may want to consider putting 20 acres or so into hay land,,maybe go in on it with a neighbor and share the hay and feed those cows and horses you want..just a thought..

I was only considering doing 10 acres the first year. Possibly contracting out to another farmer some of my land. We are trying to go for chemical free so eventually we are considered organic.

Quote:
I wouldnt count out option one..look at resale,because you may decide to move again in 10-20 years..mobile or prefab homes can be bought pretty cheap these days,,I have seen some for sale with just taking over the loan..but you would need to put in septic and well..personally I would go with option one

Mobile and Prefab homes are cheaper, but like you said, they'd have septic, or well,or county water to run, and would also have the electricity to run, perhaps propane, if they went that route.

We put a prefab home on our property - cost us 28 thou - then there was the electric, septic, water lines (county water, we have a well up by the old barn, needs a new pump). We decided against propane, and the entire house is electric. It would be cheaper, even so for the house - but you cannot build outbuildings for that cheap. A barn (if it's a big one) is going to cost as much as my house did. Then you need to decide if you want an actual barn or if you want to do what we did - get a carport and convert it to a "barn". That route is cheaper, but time consuming - I would go with ready outbuildings - anyday.

We've put in a LOT of labor on our farm, and I don't regret any of it, but it sure would have been easier to buy a place that at least had barns - a house I don't mind adding myself, the barns and sheds are great if they are already there (and not hazardous, of course - if they're in good shape.)

We have spent, all told, house, outbuildings, land, etc... probably over 180 thousand to get it to where it is now. We aren't quite finished yet, either.

Also, if the property that has barns has fencing - that's the clincher - fencing is expensive, too.

meri

Last edited:
Unfortunately we have to have any land approved by the government. I have found two properties now that fit the governments standards they both have homes, at least 2 barns, and fenced in area, both are currently being farmed so they are still in good working order. We have to keep the property under 150,000 in order to get the loan, then we may qualify for other grants and loans for equiptment. Its alot of reading and paper work but I think being able to make a healthy lifestyle change for my family is the best thing for us.

Back
Top Bottom