We need a 4H or FFA group for grownups

Growing up, my family wouldn't let me have animals. We had a dog, outside, thats it. I spent most of my time at my neighbors small farm. I loved 4-H and she was my leader. Now my kids are in 4-H and after a few years, I became a leader and then started my own club. I did want to say, some counties do have open classes for adults, even in livestock, so check it out. Our county only allows it with draft horses for pulling events, but growing up, we competed in 4-H and open, and their were adults in the open classes also. Also, some counties are not 4-H fairs, they are youth or just county fairs, so they might be open to adults too.

Another thing, check around, there is a local group here that has meet ups about once a month, it is a poultry club, for adults. I haven't gone but occasionally visit their site and a friend has gone. It is similar to BYC, just on a much smaller scale. There are also poultry shows and swap meets, both good places to learn and meet like minded individuals.

With rabbits, start going to rabbit shows, there are quite a few in our area, great place to learn, meet people, buy supplies, rabbits, etc. You can find shows in your area by visiting the ARBA site.

Goats, same thing, goat shows, swaps, etc.

Another awesome source for me has been online groups like this and yahoo groups. I have learned tons and tons over the years. When I didn't know someone locally, I asked online and got my answers. I join the groups and just read, learn, absorb, take things with a grain of salt, of course. I have a gmail account, so I can have the mail sorted into folders as it comes in. So all my rabbit list mail goes into a folder, goat, poultry, etc and then I can read it at my leisure and it is not cluttering up my inbox. Very nice!

Sometimes I feel like I'm forcing my children to show at the fair and now I'm making my son be in 4-H. I never even realized it was an option when I was in school. We always had ducks, geese, chickens and rabbits growing up. My parents just did not encourage extra curricular activities. Something for adults now would be really fun.

Back
Top Bottom