We need help.. :(

marymas245

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
We have removed the black scab. There was a little white that came off with it, but not much.
I tried to see if I could find anything underneath, but I could not and it started bleeding and duck was sore so I stopped.
The thing is this entire ball is hard, but bleeds very easily.
We have been soaking, but I am not seeing any progress.
There is a hole where the scab was.
Is this entire ball a ball of hard pus? If so, I cannot see any way to remove it :(

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 8.03.17 PM.png

After soaking in warm water for about 30 minutes, then cutting open or removing the scab, you have to squeeze the heck out of the footpad and force out the infection. There will be blood, but you must continue squeezing.
Your other option is to use Tricide Neo which will require soaking the foot for a long period of time, but it will eventually clear up.

After soaking in warm water for about 30 minutes, then cutting open or removing the scab, you have to squeeze the heck out of the footpad and force out the infection. There will be blood, but you must continue squeezing.
Your other option is to use Tricide Neo which will require soaking the foot for a long period of time, but it will eventually clear up.
I can squeeze, but there is no opening. After the scab came off, I tried to squeeze a little, but there was nothing...it is just solid.

I wrote on your other post to try PRID. I'd soak in warm Epson salts for a while first, dry it off, smear that on, then bandage foot and try keep dry and clean. Daily redo it.
I am trying PRID, but there is no opening so it is not going to draw anything out. Once I removed the scab, I dug a bit and there was nothing there so I stopped. This think is really hard.

I am trying PRID, but there is no opening so it is not going to draw anything out. Once I removed the scab, I dug a bit and there was nothing there so I stopped. This think is really hard.
There being no opening doesn't matter for PRID, it works on smooth skin even. I used to use it on my son's muffler burns from riding mini bikes. They'd end up getting boils from it and those don't protrude, but the PRID drew that out.

**Note - graphic content in comments.** OK, so our duck has a bad case of bumblefoot. Last Saturday my daughter soaked his foot and the scab came off. It left a little hole. Since all the posts I read said there should be an infection under it, I poked around a little and could not see anything. The lump was hard, and it started bleeding so I stopped. We continued to soak his foot and nothing changed. Then on Tuesday I decided to put some drawing salve on him. I left it for two days with no soaking. Tonight we brought him in to look at him and he had another scan. This time, upon removing the scab, there was some gross stuff - see photo in comment, and a large hole. I packed it with antibiotic and bandaged it for him. His foot is pretty bad and I am doing all I can. My question is whether it is actually possible that while I saw no infection on Saturday, that this is the actual infection that worked its way out or did I cause a secondary infection :( This is so hard.**

Attachments

• IMG_5831.JPG
    IMG_5831.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 5
**Note - graphic content in comments.** OK, so our duck has a bad case of bumblefoot. Last Saturday my daughter soaked his foot and the scab came off. It left a little hole. Since all the posts I read said there should be an infection under it, I poked around a little and could not see anything. The lump was hard, and it started bleeding so I stopped. We continued to soak his foot and nothing changed. Then on Tuesday I decided to put some drawing salve on him. I left it for two days with no soaking. Tonight we brought him in to look at him and he had another scan. This time, upon removing the scab, there was some gross stuff - see photo in comment, and a large hole. I packed it with antibiotic and bandaged it for him. His foot is pretty bad and I am doing all I can. My question is whether it is actually possible that while I saw no infection on Saturday, that this is the actual infection that worked its way out or did I cause a secondary infection :( This is so hard.**
Bumblefoot infection has a hard core, almost like a plug. I presume you removed it which caused the hole. That's normal. I'd keep doing what you're doing and soaking his foot in warm Epsom salt water when you change bandages and put fresh antibiotic cream on it.

Back
Top Bottom