We Quit Cigarettes

For me quitting nicotine was harder than quitting alcohol. I 'mainlined' with chewing tobacco and 'quit' more times than I can count. Even knowing the health ramifications, if it were not for a promise to the Princess -----
When they would break my shoes to quit I would just say "I would quit but nobody likes a quitter".

Break your shoes?

Haven't heard that either...

I'm trying to be supportive of my mom who's been smoking since she was 15. We've both been sick the last two months and she has bronchitis that is not clearing up after two rounds of meds.
I've always tried to avoid hassling her about smoking because I saw the way people talked to her about it when I was young (superior, dismissive, almost abusive).
The one thing we had to hash out was her only smoking outside when I eventually developed an allergy from the barest hint of smoke. Even that was hard.
Now, there seems to be no way for me to help her quit. We (I) discussed cutting back, until she's better at least, and she agreed in theory but actually smoked more last month. It's the anxiety for her. You can't mention not having a cigarette or she needs one asap. Since she's unwell, I'm the one buying them for her. It feels terrible! Enabling, even like I'm helping to poison her. But I really believe in personal choices. And she would never let me get away with not believing in them, lol.

Anyway, if anyone feels like answering this... if you ever cut back for a health reason or something similar (pregnancy, etc.) what did you do if you got anxious or stressed?

I can't answer your question directly but ... 1. I applaud your attitude in respecting her choices and understanding her anxiety.
2. I understand how torn you must feel between not wanting to enable her and not wanting her to suffer the misery of doing without.
3. I can absolutely relate to her anxiety! When I smoked, the very thought of quitting, or whenever anybody suggested it, even if in a supportive or caring way, would send me into a panic attack. It was as if somebody, however politely, suggested I just stop breathing! It was terrifying. The only thing that actually enabled me to quit was the power of prayer. There was also the Patch and some behavior modification techniques, which I will share if you pm me, but it was God that made these things even possible. ❤️

I was watching the movie "The Sweetest Thing." It starred Christina Applegate and Selma Blair, They both have MS. It made me wonder about causes... if they both were vaccinated, but then I remembered Selma got MS before the vaccinations, then I was wondering if at one point they both smoked, I looked it up and they did at one point.

I was watching the movie "The Sweetest Thing." It starred Christina Applegate and Selma Blair, They both have MS. It made me wonder about causes... if they both were vaccinated, but then I remembered Selma got MS before the vaccinations, then I was wondering if at one point they both smoked, I looked it up and they did at one point.
Correlation, but probably not causation. I have a friend with MS, a Seventh-day Adventist who never smoked.

Anyway, if anyone feels like answering this... if you ever cut back for a health reason or something similar (pregnancy, etc.) what did you do if you got anxious or stressed?
I tried to stop several times when I was mid 20. But couldn’t for more than 3 weeks on a row. When I wanted to get pregnant I even tried harder and failed again. Being pregnant I managed to cut back to 8 cigarettes a day. 1 every 2 hours. The first one hour after rise and shine. Knowing you are allowed the next cigarette in say 15 minutes makes the longing for a cigarette easier to tolerate. After some time it got easier. I tried to quit once more after my first was born, but simply didn’t manage. I accepted the 8 cigarettes a day as ‘not too unhealthy’ and didn’t intend to try quitting again.

Did this for 4 years until the due date for my second child. A few days before he was born I got infected with a nasty cough. Could hardly sleep and the cough was hurting on my big belly.
After birth the pain didn’t stop, it just moved downwards.
The idea of smoking felt so bad that this became the moment for a final quit. I never ever touched a cigarette after my son was born.

If the smoking is the mean thing and not the nicotine, you could try nicotine chewing gum against the anxiety? Make sure not to give /take the whole gums but divide them into pieces. A whole gum contains more nicotine than one cigarette. Mix half, ⅓ or ¼ gum with normal gum. I have a friend who managed to quit this way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom