We Quit Cigarettes

All of us doing the rah rah dance here, one problem I have seen is.
MANY people, when they kick the habit, and it's sticking, suddenly get VERY self righteous and get a s41tty attitude towards others who are still smoking / drinking / whatever, like it was THEIR fault YOU were hooked or something, or now you have to save the world.

Don't be that person.

Don't start lecturing them.
Don't start belittling them.
Don't start talking bad about them.

and unless that is the only way YOU can control YOUR demon, don't stop hanging around with all your smoking buddies because 'they still smoke' either. Remember how many times you thought about it (ONLY THOUGHT you didn't have the courage to quit yet)

Offer help, advice if asked for but don't be a d-bag about it.

I can look at tobacco today and want absolutely NO part of it, but it took probably 3 to 5 years for that. oh man, I remember what that taste like, and it's like a little dopamine hit went off way in the background somewhere, and a fleeting craving hit for a moment or two.

It takes time. If you've made it this far, you are well on your way to being off for good, oh and ps, you will have dreams about using tobacco products, sometimes crazy ones.. it's a demon, it will try all kinds of tricks to get back into your life.

Don't let it

aaron
I've figured out there is no helping anyone to quit smoking. You can't do anything for them to help them quit.
Don't bother wasting your time. It won't work. They have to decide for themselves.

What one chooses to do is their own choice/fault. No one else's.

I've figured out there is no helping anyone to quit smoking. You can't do anything for them to help them quit.
Don't bother wasting your time. It won't work. They have to decide for themselves.

What one chooses to do is their own choice/fault. No one else's.
This is true of all addictions. "I am a pleasure seeker. Always have been and always will be a pleasure seeker. I've just learned what pleasures cause more pain than they are worth." I long ago heard this at an AA meeting. It resonates for me.

elk, the regular copenhagen or one of the flavored ones? They used to have a whiskey barrel flavored or something like that, it's been20 years I can't remember it all too well but that was one of my vices. when I quit, I was going through a bag of redman and a can to a can and a half of copenhagen a day.

Yah, I was that bad. They took a blood test on me and the doctor basically said, Im surprised you are not dead right now with the nicotine levels in your blood. You are not going to work on the 8 week plan, we are going to have to start you on 2 patches and wean you down from there. Thankfully it worked.

Aaron

elk, the regular copenhagen or one of the flavored ones? They used to have a whiskey barrel flavored or something like that, it's been20 years I can't remember it all too well but that was one of my vices. when I quit, I was going through a bag of redman and a can to a can and a half of copenhagen a day.

Yah, I was that bad. They took a blood test on me and the doctor basically said, Im surprised you are not dead right now with the nicotine levels in your blood. You are not going to work on the 8 week plan, we are going to have to start you on 2 patches and wean you down from there. Thankfully it worked.

Aaron
Regular

When I worked for the G&F I put half a pouch of Redman in, in the morning and finished the pouch after lunch.

It doesn't seem real. I can't believe I was so nasty for so long.

I have ZERO desire to smoke. I never crave to at all.

I win.
SO PROUD OF YOU KIKI! I remember what a struggle it was for you. I'm so happy it "stuck" for you this time. I'm 30+ years clear, and I don't regret pain of leaving smokes behind.
Other than saving lots of money, what are the good things y'all have noticed post-quitting? My "biggie" was being able to taste things properly. All of a sudden, I could taste the subtleties of different seasonings ... and I haven't stopped playing with them, since!

SO PROUD OF YOU KIKI! I remember what a struggle it was for you. I'm so happy it "stuck" for you this time. I'm 30+ years clear, and I don't regret pain of leaving smokes behind.
Other than saving lots of money, what are the good things y'all have noticed post-quitting? My "biggie" was being able to taste things properly. All of a sudden, I could taste the subtleties of different seasonings ... and I haven't stopped playing with them, since!
I have not noticed being able to taste much better but I can smell much better it seems.

Back
Top Bottom