We rescued 2 chickens - any clue as to what they are?

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Former owner told us they were about 1 yr old - they were hens - and they haven't layed eggs in a long time (maybe because they were cramped in an unsanitary coop with no sun and only scratch grain to eat - but, hey, don't get me started on that!) We don't know the breeds - I am hoping they are both hens! They are skinny and have had their feathers pecked. We acquired them yesterday, brought them in overnight gave them plenty of fresh water, hi-protein food and a nice, quiet night - lots of TLC. This morning I awoke to find a light green egg in the cage! Can anyone tell, from the pictures, what they might be? Thanks in advance!

I pulled up photos of Easter Eggers this morning and they had fuzzy cheeks - so fuzzy, I couldn't see what color their ears were. This one doesn't have the fuzzy cheeks - but maybe they just haven't grown in yet? Thank you so much - I'm loving the colored eggs!

I pulled up photos of Easter Eggers this morning and they had fuzzy cheeks - so fuzzy, I couldn't see what color their ears were.  This one doesn't have the fuzzy cheeks - but maybe they just haven't grown in yet? Thank you so much - I'm loving the colored eggs!

There are varieties without cheek puffs, so yes, she could be a beardless EE, but I might call her a Cream Legbar, as I've never seen an EE that color, and Legbars lay green eggs too. They are both hens, and the first one is a red sex link.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom