We were told these are dominiques...

I will shout to make myself heard DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT THE NEW CHICKENS IN WITH YOUR CURRENT FLOCK FOR AT LEAST 3-4 WEEKS

Now, i would follow the advice, worm them, watch them for any nasal discharge and check their poop. It can never harm to have a heat lamp for at least a couple days just to make sure they are comfortable. Give them some water with some electrolytes.

Hopefully after some TLC, some chicken quarantine you can get on with the fun task of introducing them to your current flock.

Just FYI, you can get barred rocks very easily at the feed store, i bought a pullet earlier today for $2.15 to put under my VERY broody D'uccle!

Quote:
So NOT Dominiques!! Yours have single combs and a dominique has a rose comb, dominiques are black and white and look similar to a barred rock, these look like they are another breed completely! Maybe a sexlink and I have heard they lay really well. But I would definitely keep these seperated for a while from your exisiting flock, I am no expert here at all just saying this off of experience now
hide.gif

Ok I am updating this because after really looking at your pics again the one that is all puffed up, it's eyes look totally different from the other one, I would look into that, I have a sick chicken (with cocci) right now that looks the same, eyes droopy, body puffed up, and tail down. It wouldn't hurt them to give them some sulmet for the recommended dosage and time frame. Please don't put them in with your other flock until you know they are ok!!!

Last edited:
BIOSECURITY is Number one Which means YOU DO NOT PLACE YOU NEW BOUGHT CHICKENS WITH AN EXISTING FLOCK FOR 30 DAYS.....
for tips on how to keep your chickens safe go to http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov or www.avianflu.gov Or this one I went here myself and got a packet sent to me with alot of info a cpl dvd's it taught me alot about Biosecurity http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/

I
hope this helps you out and hey if you don't think the guy is selling good healthy birds turn him in heck we already know he doesn't know breeds.

Good luck to you

I have another question, probably dumb but I'll ask anyway.

I have the chickens in the garage. We go out and check on them all day including my kids. Can we get sick from them or is strictly chicken sickness? We let them walk around the yard a bit everyday, but far away from the other chickens. Is that okay or do they have to be really far away from the flock?

You don't want them close enough where your birds can come in contact with their droppings so, a different yard is fine, different times is not.

No. you can't catch what they have.

I agree. Coccidiosis has a sickly sweet smell that is very recognizable once you have smelled it, it is caused by a protozoa. If there is blood it is a bad case. I believe it is most prevalent in 1-6 week olds, yours look to be a little older, 8-10 wks maybe.

They do look like black sexlinks, which most times is a cross between a barred rock hen and rhode island red roo.

Regards, Gina

Back
Top Bottom