Weak 4 week old chick sick?

Chickadoodle56

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
I had 10 chicks, lost 3 in 3 days after delivery. Now one of the seven doesn't seem to be growing and sometimes stays away from the others.
she has eaten a little at a time, seems to be drinking some water. checked her vent and nothing there, she is somewhat hunched over, feathers are coming in slowy, not like the others. This is my 2nd time with babies and it kills me to lose any of them. I have 10 more coming next week. any suggestions?

That is what I would do too. I'm on day two with my own non-eater. I just started her on parrot formula (like baby formula for parrots) because I felt she needed something more substantial. Now, if I can just figure out how to keep her awake during feedings.

I know what you mean, she is just sitting with me and sleeping. I don't know how much to give her at each feeding. I need to try and get some starter feed in her, i did water some down so its not too coarse, i can't seem to open her beak

I have a little one too that won't eat. I have been putting the starter feed mixed with water into the eye dropper. Seems to work. By the way, when I say I, I mean my wife.
lol.png
cool.png

You might be able to do with starter feed what I'm doing with the parrot stuff. Take some starter feed, add water and microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Let that sit for a little to absorb the water and cool. Then use the syringe to feed.

Thanks everyone. I'll try the starter feed soften. She's crying and I think she wants to go back with the others. She has seemed to have perked up.
I'll let you know how she is doing in the morning,again thanks

does this mean they are drinking more than eating
if so how long does this make them with out feed>
at 4 weeks if you handled birds with coccidiosis they would get it and chicks that are humped up and don't eat but drink a lot
do they have watery feces?

read articl on coccidiosis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom