Weak chick- am I doing all I can?

Stuwe

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2019
John Day, OR
Good morning all. Got 3 new chicks from the feed store yesterday. 1 of them we noticed was spending a lot of time under the heat and not going to the water/food dishes. I took her over to the water and dunked her beak in and she immediately started chugging water. She was pooping normal so i fugured she’s just a little worn out from her travels. This morning she was laying on her side under the heat. I got her, checked her bum and she was pasted up. Got her all cleaned up and she immediately pooped and peeped. I tried my dunk method in the water dish again (this time with sugar water) but, no dice. She won’t eat or drink now, won’t open her eyes. Just lays under the heat. Is there anything else i should be doing?

thanks - S

Are her legs at a weird angle at all? I remember I had a baby chick that wouldn’t walk and kept her eyes closed and after looking more closely I noticed her feet were kind of twisted. We ended up culling unfortunately.

Are her legs at a weird angle at all? I remember I had a baby chick that wouldn’t walk and kept her eyes closed and after looking more closely I noticed her feet were kind of twisted. We ended up culling unfortunately.
Nope. No weird legs. A second one got ill too and now they are both dead. I’m guessing just stress from their travels.

Back
Top Bottom