Weak Chick

Anonymous1234

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2021
Hello! This is my first time posting a question here so I’m sorry if I’m doing anything wrong.
Anyways, today I received three new chicks from the post office. Two of the three chicks were healthy and running around. However, the third chick, a silkie bantam, came weak. I immediately separated her from the rest because I noticed that the other two were pecking at her and put her in a box with a bag of hot water. I gave her some yolk, water with some sugar, and some regular water and she ate the yolk and water. She looked more energized and started peeping a lot so I gave her the heat lamp that I had been using for my older chicks. She stopped peeping and has her eyes closed and is not doing anything. I’m not sure if she is sleeping now or if she is having a relapse.

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Is there a possibility that she's just sleeping right now because she's tired? I would suggest the sugar water, but it looks like you've got that already covered. I'd wait and see how she is later. :)

Welcome.
It sounds like she might be overheated.

What is the temperature in the box under the heat lamp?

Can you take a clear video of the set up and chick right now?

You'd have to upload it to YouTube.

Also...how did you feed it earlier? Did you have to force stuff into its mouth or did it actually eat and drink on its own?

The chick was able to eat the yolk I gave her but she would only drink water from a 1/4 teaspoon spoon and would peep when she wanted more water. Here’s a link to the video: https://youtube.com/shorts/JYHMNnEvC-8?feature=share
Tell me if it works
Are you sure it's not too hot?

Continue to offer it the water by spoon.
I'd try to put it back with the others to see if the others could encourage it to eat with them.

I will try putting back with the rest. I am slightly worried, though, that they might hurt her since she is so much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom