Weak chick

JosieMaeChickens

Chirping
Nov 21, 2022
We hatched 12 chicks. The last one that hatched is up moving around better than the one that hatch approximately 12 hrs before. This chick will walk a few steps then lay down and seems to wobble still. It is at least 24 hours old now (hatched overnight so not sure if the exact time.) It looks healthy otherwise. I’m not sure if it is just weak or what. There is no obvious physical issues with it’s legs. What can I give it or do to help? It will peck at food places in front of it.

We hatched 12 chicks. The last one that hatched is up moving around better than the one that hatch approximately 12 hrs before. This chick will walk a few steps then lay down and seems to wobble still. It is at least 24 hours old now (hatched overnight so not sure if the exact time.) It looks healthy otherwise. I’m not sure if it is just weak or what. There is no obvious physical issues with it’s legs. What can I give it or do to help? It will peck at food places in front of it.
how does its poop look?
Is the vent area clean or dirty?
How does it look when it walks? Or does she walk any different than the other chicks?
You can try and offer it some electrolytes and scrambled egg😊

how does its poop look?
Is the vent area clean or dirty?
How does it look when it walks? Or does she walk any different than the other chicks?
You can try and offer it some electrolytes and scrambled egg😊
Poop looks normal for new chickies. Vent is clean. Best I can describe it walks with a limp and doesn’t walk very far before laying down. I’ve tired raw egg and water but it won’t touch either. It will eat scrambled egg and chick feed.

Do you have photos of the chick, how it stands and of it's legs/joints?

If you have it, I'd give the chick 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench orally twice a day.
Work on getting drops of fluid/water into the chick. This probably means a drop at a time.
Then offer a bit of wet soupy chick starter.

If you don't have PND or Electrolytes, then give a drops of sugar water.

Being unable to take drops of fluid, the chick likely won't make it.

Back
Top Bottom