conure

Hatching
Jul 23, 2020
About two days ago, 3 chicks hatched under a hen. They were on day 23. The first one was pushed out, but we did manage to save it (and now it is happily pipping, eating and drinking) the second hatched with no problem, but when we looked at it. It seemed quite weak. It sits like a penguin and has trouble walking. It also has no feathers on the neck, exposing what looks to be a wound. It has not opened it's eyes for more than 2 seconds. I think the broody hen stepped on it, as when i went to take it inside, the hen's foot was on it's leg. The third we had to help it hatch. It had not moved and was getting weaker, I followed instructions online and it seemed fine. It pushed itself out of the shell. It bled slightly, but that stopped. Then, when I went inside I had this bad feeling. I went outside again to check up on it, and the hen had pushed it out. I rushed it inside, and it survived the night. When I woke up yesterday (this was before chick 2 was in) The chick was still weak, but was chirping and standing. I force-fed it water, and it fell asleep. Then I brought nr2 in, and it was weak.

Both would stand up when we touched them, but then sat down and fell asleep. Like an on and off switch. It worried us. We managed to get them some sugar water and they perked up again. I mixed water and their feed and fed it to them. We waited until the evening and fed them more. Chick nr 3 was a bit more active then, pooping and eating a pellet. But the other one mostly walked around.About one hour later, my brother fed nr 2 water and it also pooped-

But when we woke up today, they had both become weak. Nr 2 barley has the energy to stand, it mostly let's the eggyolkmush and water drip down it's cheek. Only sometimes swallowing it. Because it does not open it's eyes, we can't feed it. It does not know where or how to eat the food. It had fell into the water bowl, and it was wet. Nr 3 is not doing well at all. It is laying down, only breathing. I did get it to drink and eat, but not much.

I really need help

Last edited:
Sounds like these chicks weren’t going to thrive to begin with and that’s why they didn’t hatch until day 23. It’s always a hit or miss when you assist hatching eggs that are late.

Try to get them to eat as much as possible, but do not force them because the food can get aspirated then cause worse issues. Chicks do not need to eat until 3 days after they hatch because they absorb the yolk for nutrition. If they’re not eating at all after 3 days, you may have to tube feed them.

Give them some time. They don’t need to eat or drink until 3 days after they hatch.

Heres a BYC article on tube feeding:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Here’s an article on wound cleaning:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wound-care-for-chickens.72385/

Im sorry you’re going through this! We are here to support you through this:hugs

Hey, I really need help with chick nr 2. It is starting to breathe heavily and it's getting weaker. I can't loose another one.
Does the yolk still carry it out even when it is late? It has been alive for 2 days, I don't know if it can survive another night without nutrition

Back
Top Bottom