Weak Gosling, Poly Visol?

SJohnson11

Hatching
Apr 15, 2020
Hello,

First time posting, but I was hoping to get some advice.
I got my very first gosling 2 nights ago, and when I first picked it up I noticed it was much quieter and more docile then my ducklings, I found this weird but was too excited to see red flags.
It's been two days and I havent seen it eat yet, I make sure it drinks water and it is warm in the brooder, but it just sits in one spot. It will get up and walk if it has too but otherwise just sits still. When it does walk it seems wobbly and off balance. It has a small black lump under its belly near its private part, but I've been advised that it's a healing umbilical cord.

It hasn't really made any noise either yet, other than small quite squeaks, not vocal like other goslings I've seen.

I was told to use Poly Visol infant medication because it contains niacin? Is this true? I have some, I was just wondering how often to give it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I would use something like Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 1 ml daily to give it a boost. Those have vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes. If you use the baby vitamins, you can use 3 drops daily, but it sounds like the gosling needs electrolytes and water as well. Pedialye, gatorade, or homemade electrolytes are good to use. Dissolve 1 tsp of sugar and a tiny pinch of salt in a quart or liter of water. Hold it up to the beak, or dip the beak into it for a second.

I am not familiar with goslings, only chickens, so I would also post on the geese forum under “Forums” above, and scale down the page. Contact the seller as well, because the baby sounds weak. Do you have it under a heat lamp?

With everything closed I'm worried I wont be able to find those things, I live in the country, but I will try!

I have contacted the seller and they have yet to reply, and yes I have them under a heat lamp.

I have Gatorade, do I mix it with water or just give it straight? And how much and how often?

Thank you for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom