weak or tired chick

stevecg02

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I just received a good bit of new chick's yesterday and everything appeared to be fine. Today I noticed one of them kept hiding in the corner as if trying to keep away from the others. I did notice some of the others picking on it as well. I've separated the chick from the others making it a separate brooding box. The chick appears to be either really tired or weak and I'm a little concerned for it. I did take notice that it is smaller than the others too. Does anyone have any input or advice with this?

I dont have any advice for you : ( but I just got my chicks today ( ordered 5 and got a bonus chick! ) ..and one of mine is acting like this too - while the others are walking around eating and drinking - she would rather just have a nap .. I have put her near the water ( dunked her little head ) and she drinks good but then heads back towards to heatlamp and goes to sleep... shes not small though - she is one of my bigger girls ??? I am curious too...

I did find my little one drinking water so that's good but went right back to sleeping and has yet to eat at least since I've separated it. It doesn't really get alarmed either like the others when I go the check on them. I suppose I'll find out more as time progresses.

I dont have any advice for you : ( but I just got my chicks today ( ordered 5 and got a bonus chick! ) ..and one of mine is acting like this too - while the others are walking around eating and drinking - she would rather just have a nap .. I have put her near the water ( dunked her little head ) and she drinks good but then heads back towards to heatlamp and goes to sleep... shes not small though - she is one of my bigger girls ??? I am curious too...
what kind did you go with? I've raised buff orpington and barred rock and now producing my own chick's with those. My most recent additions are white Jersey Giants and a sicilian buttercup (my freebie).

Alright did you put any Probiotic & Electrolyte in the water these items are found at your local feed store and can be mixed together ....

In to your feed you can mix some Turkey Grow with 20% protein great for growing but the best thing I like to do with newly arriving chicks is making them hard boiled egg's and remove the shell and then mashing up the egg and serve it is like giving candy to a baby but much healthier also the egg has every thing them chicks need to boost the immune system besides them egg's have everything to create, develop a chick ...

Good luck in your poultry ventures ....

what kind did you go with? I've raised buff orpington and barred rock and now producing my own chick's with those. My most recent additions are white Jersey Giants and a sicilian buttercup (my freebie).

I just ordered 5 " hatch day choice " ( plus 1 freebie ) so they pick whatever they have the most that day i guess, last time I ordered chicks I got a nice mix of red, black and yellow(RIR, Red X, Black Sex Link and Columbian Rock X ) .. this time I got all red ones... I am not sure what they are yet - I know there are dual purpose so since they are red I am assuming Rhode Island Red or Red X .. 2 of my chicks of very dark red so I will assume they are the RIR since they look a little smaller compared to the Red X.. Although I suppose they could be New Hampshire X too ... I wont know until they start growing i guess... How are yours doing today?? Is the one eating yet? Mine seem a little groggy this morning - def. not as active as yesterday... but I was up twice to check through the night and they were up too... so maybe just sleepy this morning..

I just received a good bit of new chick's yesterday and everything appeared to be fine. Today I noticed one of them kept hiding in the corner as if trying to keep away from the others. I did notice some of the others picking on it as well. I've separated the chick from the others making it a separate brooding box. The chick appears to be either really tired or weak and I'm a little concerned for it. I did take notice that it is smaller than the others too. Does anyone have any input or advice with this?
Electrolytes are important right now (probiotics not so much.) Get some SavAChick or other brand to put in their water. Dip it's beak a few times every hour, and put a litle of the water into a small amount of feed to get it to start eating. Sprinkle some feed crumbles around their feet on some paper towel.I would urge you to put the chick back in with the others while you can watch it a few times a day to make sure it isn't trampled. This interaction with the others is important, so it can learn to eat like the others. With extra care your chick may make it, but some do die from weakness or shipping stress.

Last edited:
Electrolytes are important right now (probiotics not so much.) Get some SavAChick or other brand to put in their water. Dip it's beak a few times every hour, and put a litle of the water into a small amount of feed to get it to start eating. Sprinkle some feed crumbles around their feet on some paper towel.I would urge you to put the chick back in with the others while you can watch it a few times a day to make sure it isn't trampled. This interaction with the others is important, so it can learn to eat like the others. With extra care your chick may make it, but some do die from weakness or shipping stress.

How long should you keep them on the electrolytes or will that say on the package??

Unfortunately the little one didn't make it. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. Out of 36 chick's, this one was the first one I've lost. I've read that sometimes you can do everything to help a chick survive but still usually never end up making it within the flock. Still doesn't make me feel better about it though

Oh yeah, I do start all my chicks out with the electrolytes and probiotic. I usually alternate days with it myself and I also start them out on the medicated chick food. I'm not exactly sure there is an exact science to it but make sure you also have fresh water for them as well (so I've read).

Back
Top Bottom