Weak Pullet with noisy nose

rh18

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Hi,
I recently bought a 2 month pullet from a local store. She was fine then, it has been 2 day from now she is weak and drowsy, eating & drinking fine.

No disease symptoms. (No runny nose especially)

Normal Feed & some scratch.

ACV & some multivitamin added today in water

Quarantined through.

I hear a gurgling sound from her nostril. No hard time while breading. does not open her mouth while she breaths.

She even sleeps on an open ground to walk around. She does walks for about half an hour and gets to sleep even in day time.

A 60Watt bulb is equipped in her cage for heat (its cold over here).

none of my other folk does like she does.

Any held would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds as though she may have a mild respiratory infection. I tend to follow the "survival of the fittest" philosophy to some extent. I.e., if they can throw it off themselves, they carry stronger genetics that make them more desirable to breed from at a later date.

This fall, after years keeping birds with no illness, I made the mistake of allowing a customer to come to my property and in the weeks after he left, I ended up with about a dozen birds with symptoms such as you are describing. Most of them were able to throw it off by themselves. However a couple of my turkeys developed sinus infections as a result, and once I saw that their sinuses were puffy and they looked painful and miserable, I decided I'd rather treat than have them be that miserable. After doing some research, I decided to try Tylan 50 injectable, which is available at most farm stores. I injected them into the breast, once each day for 5 days. After 2 days, the sinuses had returned to normal and by the end of the 5 days of treatment, they were symptom free.

But i've heard that tylan 50 makes there immune system weak...

I haven't heard that specifically about Tylan 50 - but overuse of antibiotics in general is the reason I usually do not treat. A bird who can throw off a respiratory infection by itself will have a stronger immune system than one who cannot. However not all birds CAN throw off the infection, and death also weakens the immune system. Only you, who see the bird daily can make the call as to whether to treat or not.

Well I am hoping for the best, otherwise what the point to have chickens if we can't treat em.

Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom