weasel and chickens

dyrdradear

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
just recently I think I lost my rooster victor to a weasel and I believe that the eggs that I saw that had been picked and eaten or broken by the weasel having a hard time catching this critter also now my hens don't want to lay in the chicken house they wait till they can get free range and lay somewhere where I can't always find them what to do

Last edited:
The chickens are stressed because they must have seen it breach the coop. Please post on the predator thread and ask what you can do to rid yourself of this animal. If you give detailed information the people there should be able to confirm or not, that it was indeed a weasel. They can squeeze thru very small openings.

You need to check the coop thoroughly to discover how it gets in, and patch up any openings .

You need to trap your Weasel or you are going to have
nothing but problems
hit.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, you need to figure out where this animal is getting in and fix this area so the birds are not afraid to use the coop and lay. You can do some talking in our Predators and Pests Forums if you need help with this issue...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Good luck with this problem. Take care of this before you lose more than just eggs. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of your rooster and the hatching eggs. X3, on the Predator forum to help you identify and deal with the predator you are having problems with.

If you had a weasel in your pen you wouldn't have any birds left to lay anything. You could have a rat, raccoon, snake, etc. Your gonna have to ID the culprit first, then lay out a plan to kill it. You should setup a spy cam if it's a night feeder in order to catch it in your pen. If you don't get rid of it, it will wipe out your flock.

good ideas from above. You could also buy 1/2" hardware wire and surround the coop AND run with it burying it about 10-12" around it in the ground. (assuming you have a heavy 16 gage or better run for them for larger predators like raccoon, fox, coyotes, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom