Weasel info?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by extraordinaryfowl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Hello all,

I live her in southern pa and have never seen a weasel in my life, although weasel-like creatures have been spotted around. I have had chickens for over three years here now and have never had one predator loss. They are all in bottomless pens with coops in which they are shut in at night, and nothing has ever gotten in.

My question is, assuming weasels are around, what size holes can they fit through? can they squeeze through 1 inch hex wire? How about one or two inch ventilation gaps, etc.. I am wondering this now being in the process of finishing a new coop. Just thought it would be good to know. Thanks, MW.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have heard that you need 1/2 hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for your coop and run because weasels can go thru 1 inch hex wire. Also raccoons can get their hands through to pull the chickens out piece by piece. Also hex wire can be ripped into by raccoons, cuyhotes, dogs, and foxes.

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have always been told that if you can fit a hot dog through the coop fencing then a weasel could also easily fit. Hardware cloth would keep them and racoons (harder for a raccoon to damage that type of fencing) out. Look at all the fencing options and just make sure that a hot dog would not fit through the holes.

4. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks all

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I kept chickens for 24 years with no problem from weasels--the 25th I lost most of my flock to one so it can happen. Weasels can get through a half inch hole with no problem--you need hardware cloth for protection.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Guess they don't call them weasels for nothing. I've never seen one here in Texas atleast here at 7L.

7. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:A half inch hole! Are you sure? That seems like an awful tight squeeze. If so that is very good to know, as I am going to be buying some hardware cloth soon, was going to get half-inch. Not sure now.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:A half inch hole! Are you sure? That seems like an awful tight squeeze. If so that is very good to know, as I am going to be buying some hardware cloth soon, was going to get half-inch. Not sure now.

I use half inch hardware cloth on all my pens works for me.

9. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    My daughter just spotted a weasel in the woodpile by our house yesterday. After doing some research everything I have read says that you should use the cloth hardwire like another poster said. Weasels can squeeze thru holes less than an inch. I had to show my husband the info because he didn't believe me (Probably because he doesn't want to do anymore more to the coop!).

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Use nothing that leaves more than a half inch opening in any direction.

Weasels come in three different types and sizes in the US, the smallest one is what you size for when trying to exclude them from the runs and coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by