Weasel info?

extraordinaryfowl

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Lancaster, PA
Hello all,

I live her in southern pa and have never seen a weasel in my life, although weasel-like creatures have been spotted around. I have had chickens for over three years here now and have never had one predator loss. They are all in bottomless pens with coops in which they are shut in at night, and nothing has ever gotten in.

My question is, assuming weasels are around, what size holes can they fit through? can they squeeze through 1 inch hex wire? How about one or two inch ventilation gaps, etc.. I am wondering this now being in the process of finishing a new coop. Just thought it would be good to know. Thanks, MW.

I have heard that you need 1/2 hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for your coop and run because weasels can go thru 1 inch hex wire. Also raccoons can get their hands through to pull the chickens out piece by piece. Also hex wire can be ripped into by raccoons, cuyhotes, dogs, and foxes.

I have always been told that if you can fit a hot dog through the coop fencing then a weasel could also easily fit. Hardware cloth would keep them and racoons (harder for a raccoon to damage that type of fencing) out. Look at all the fencing options and just make sure that a hot dog would not fit through the holes.

I kept chickens for 24 years with no problem from weasels--the 25th I lost most of my flock to one so it can happen. Weasels can get through a half inch hole with no problem--you need hardware cloth for protection.

Quote:
A half inch hole! Are you sure? That seems like an awful tight squeeze. If so that is very good to know, as I am going to be buying some hardware cloth soon, was going to get half-inch. Not sure now.

Quote:
A half inch hole! Are you sure? That seems like an awful tight squeeze. If so that is very good to know, as I am going to be buying some hardware cloth soon, was going to get half-inch. Not sure now.

I use half inch hardware cloth on all my pens works for me.

My daughter just spotted a weasel in the woodpile by our house yesterday. After doing some research everything I have read says that you should use the cloth hardwire like another poster said. Weasels can squeeze thru holes less than an inch. I had to show my husband the info because he didn't believe me (Probably because he doesn't want to do anymore more to the coop!).

Use nothing that leaves more than a half inch opening in any direction.

Weasels come in three different types and sizes in the US, the smallest one is what you size for when trying to exclude them from the runs and coop.

Back
Top Bottom