weasels

meholtspan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Here in Ont Canada, weasels are the worst. A few years ago I lost 16 beautiful birds in one night. The weasel was so bold he came back in daylight the next day. They kill and kill and don't stop to eat. Finally, after many tries I caught him--the payback was i used one of his killed chickens to bait the trap. I'm an animal lover but I hated that weasel. Cannot believe how small they are and what tiny holes they can get through to do their terrible damage. Cement floors, welded wire, glass and very tight screens--in the winter, that's all that will work.
Marilyn

That's one that I'm concerned about.

We had no idea that we had weasels here ... we'd lived here for five years and none of the neighbors or us had ever seen any sign of them. One day my wonderful barn kitty brought us a baby weasel ... still alive (it died quickly though - I think she played with it and injured it or it died of shock).

It's been two years since then and we've still seen no sign that they exist around here... but we know they do!

Another one in the new snow belt. Seems everybody I spoke with in NH, ME and VT that kept birds this winter had weasel woes.

Trap them, shoot them or they keep coming back. I trapped mine.

I live in Northern Ontario and have a great weasel story. We bought a fixer upper log home on a lake up here. The first year we moved in my daughter woke up in the middle of the night yelling for us to come quikly...there was something in her room. We ran in there wondering what in the worl could have woken her up in the middle of the night, and there she was standing on her bed with her blanket wrapped around her wondering what to do. She said "It's playing in that bag and I have no idea what it is!'
So we saw it, a weasel, after our parrot no doubt...that's why it came in the house. We got her out of her room and closed the door on it for the night...or so we thought...it actually crawled out through the gap under the door. We managed to shoo it outside only to have it come in every night for the next three nights, and it came in the daytime too. We trapped it with fish in a chipmunk trap and dropped it off 5 miles from here. We still have another one that hangs around now, but it can't get into my coop...hopefully...

Back
Top Bottom