Weather and Marans

LN2008

Songster
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Larryville, KS
Hi guys! I own one Maran pullet and had a question about what I should expect this winter. I live in Kansas which has inconsistent and fluctuating weather patterns. I've also been reading up on this breed and I've heard that Marans are cold hearty and they are not cold hearty. Which is it??
hu.gif
My other girls should be fine but I'm concerned that she will be especially susceptible to bad weather.

Man, down here in Tx, our temps and humidity have been fluxing like crazy. I have three 10-11 week old marans pullets, and they seem to be handling it as well or better than my other babies. I think she will be okay. I think chickens (for the most part!) are WAY tougher than we give them credit for.

She will tell you all you need to know. Just keep an eye on her, and see how she does. If she seems to be having a hard time, help her out, but I think you will find she will be just fine staying warm with her flock mates
cool.png
...wait, she isn't your only chicken, is she?

Quote:
She is not. In fact she makes it a habit to sit on my easter egger who is for sure cold hearty. Crazy girls!
lau.gif

ha ha thats cute! I had a BO that used to sleep sitting on top of the dog at night...kept her feet warm I guess! I think your marans will be just peachy
smile.png

ours have done just fine (although mosiqutios did spread foul pox about the flock but all are well and now immune) the weather here has been wet and cold, warm and wet ,hot during the day freezing at night, cold windy and wet, just cold and windy, ect ( i think you get it
wink.png
) and they have been just fine as long as they have flock mates and shelter they should all be fine

Your Marans ( and it is always Marans with an "s" at the end, even if you only have one Marans
smile.png
) should be just fine. They are very cold hearty. I don't get the winters here in Western Washington that everyone else gets, but we do manage to get some very chilly snowy icy spells here for a couple weeks, they do just fine. They do just fine with our mild summersl, but also seem to fair just fine in warmer weather as well.

smile.png

I live in Missouri, and last winter was super cold with lots of snow! My Marans girls all laid through the winter, and did just fine with the cold. I don't use lights or a heat source, even when the temps got down to -15. You didn't say how old your pullet is, but as long as she has friends to cuddle up with, and that she is in a draft-free, enclosed space, and has plenty of fresh water, she should be just fine. Although...you will get some dirty looks from her when it snows!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom