Weather issues *URGENT*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    My chicks are about to hatch tomorrow and it is supposed to be cold and rainy all week long... should i give them a lamp or will mama keep them warm. also should i move them to a new location in the garage after all of them hatch or keep them in the confined area in the coop. the place in the coop is smaller than in the garage?? she is supposed to hatch 11 chicks. any reply helps [​IMG]

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Not sure where you are, but I'm in coastal Waldo County. Chickens were hatchin' and raisin' there own in moderate weather long before humans dragged the first one out of the jungle.

Mama will take care of them just fine.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I'd add a little heat just to be safe, better safe then sorry, right? If the chicks/mother act a little uncomfortable then you can remove the lamp, but I'd stick with using it at first to try things out. If you keep them in the coop then are the other chickens calm, any noticeable aggression from them? There are a lot of variables that could change whether or not it is safer to keep them in the garage or coop.

Sorry for not being of much help.

4. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    no no no your a BIG help thanks [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No heat for broodies with chicks, mama handles it just fine. Some raise them in a separate area and some in with the flock. If you separate mama and chicks, you will probably need a growout pen for the chicks when mama stops mothering, around 4 or 6 or maybe 8 weeks.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

6. iFairyx

iFairyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Maybe try adding more bedding etc to help insulate the coop that little bit more.

Good'luck

7. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    thanks for all the replys [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I'm new to chickens this spring. I just hatched my first with a momma and two more are in the incubator right now. All the stress I had about the other chickens killing it, it staying warm, eating, drowning in water dish etc. are gone. THE MOM DOES IT ALL!!! She hatched 7/28 and the mom just took her outside this weekend. I didnt know how she was moving her but the baby is under her wing or on her back...I just learned they do this. I was wondering how baby was getting into the top nesting box or in the tote I was keeping them in. It's amazing watching how momma takes care of her baby and interacts with it. This baby is in a coop of 40 grown chickens and she's just walking around. Amazing!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    thanks for the advice [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by