1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weather not fit for man nor beast... well, except ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billw, Mar 14, 2012.

1. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    I have been really pleased with our ducks. Chickens hate our rainforest climate. The poor buggers cluster under cover and hate life.

Over the past three days, temperatures have hovered around 33 degrees. We have had just under six inches of precipitation, some as rain, but more as slush. Also, winds gusting to ~60MPH. Everywhere you look are pools of slush and water several inches deep. Even the dogs look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them to go outside. They tiptoe through the slush, do their business, and come right back inside.

But the ducks are partying. Their run has mostly flooded. That is unusual, since it is on top of a hill. They have a couple inches of water to play in and they are making the most of it - chasing each other around, flapping their wings, and spraying muddy slush all over the place. They continue the practice of only going into their shelter when it is sunny and warm. If it is wet, freezing, and windy, they are outside making the most of it.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    LOVE your thread title. Have you found silver or gold? LOL!!

Gotta love the positive attitude of ducks!

3. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    Hey neighbor!

We're on the west side of the Sound and it's been on and off various kinds of ick for the past three days. The ducks are partying down and everyone else is taking shelter.

I'm going to have to totally modify the drainage in my run once things dry out. I can't seem to get it to drain the direction I want it to!

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I am far away from you all, but this year's weather has been crazy. It was 65 Monday & freezing rain & sleet yesterday.
    My entire backyard is a giant puddle & the ducks have been swimming around so happy. Even in the sleet yesterday, they just swam around the ice chunks remaining in the puddle & loll about in the mud/yard.
    I am a duck gal all the way. Maine winters are crazy & these ducks have made it through with smiles on their faces. My poor chickens, hardy for their species, spent many a cold day giving me dirty looks ("YOU put all this white stuff all over the yard, when do you intend to remove it?").
    I'll never forget our first big storm - dropped 11" overnight. Gusts of wind blowing every which way. The ducks slept in the night yard, two of them IN THEIR POOL the entire night.
    When the hurricane rolled through this summer I looked out in their night yard & they were running about biting the rain that blew in & pressing their chests against the hardware cloth. They were just as happy as when we play "duck sprinkler" on the patio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by