Website with APA standards?

Quote:
Do you know how many different ones there are? I've been going to ask the APA but never have.

hm..I will have to look in one of my newer books but if you have one I think it says it on one of the first pages. I will definitely look into it
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you know how many different ones there are? I've been going to ask the APA but never have.

hm..I will have to look in one of my newer books but if you have one I think it says it on one of the first pages. I will definitely look into it
smile.png

I don't have the 2010 one yet but I do have the one before that......I'll have to look.

And..................I am now the proud owner of the New 2010 American Standard of Perfection. I "found" $61 in my paypal account that I didnt know was there! It was just sitting there! I guess I got a refund a long time ago on something and I thought, why not use it for this book? I didnt even know it was there and this book is something that I have wanted for over ten years. Man, I get a frizzle and THE book all in one day. I dont think I can handle it. Thank you everyone for your help!

Quote:
WOWZA!! I thought the 2010 I bought was expensive. You could have heard my shout of delight a county away when it came in the mail box. I looked in the front and cannot find where it says how many printings there have been.

Lanae

Quote:
WOWZA!! I thought the 2010 I bought was expensive. You could have heard my shout of delight a county away when it came in the mail box. I looked in the front and cannot find where it says how many printings there have been.

Lanae

I saw online a website that said how many they published. gosh I wish I retained what I read.

American Standard of Perfection - Some Answers to Questions

Someone pointed me to this thread and suggested it would be good to "answer" a couple of the SOP questions and clarify some of the "poultry myths" that are emerging about the Standard.

First, the basics - the 2010 American Standard of Perfection regular editions are available NOW directly from the APA webstore for $59.00 postpaid. If you purchase one at a show where secretary Pat Horstman is attending, they are $54.00 (you save the $5 S&H cost - Wooohoooo!
cool.png
). You may also secure one from any of several vendors out there who have bought them from the APA and making them available through their catalogs and sales channels.

There will be 150 "Special Edition" numbered Standards which are in production right now. They will be a jazzed up regular edition housed in a special box (example picture is up on APA website). Numbers 1 through 10 are getting some further customization and will be distributed via an auction process in the late spring. Numbers 11 through 140 are intended for purchase now and are $150 postpaid. If you order one of the Special Editions, you will need to contact the APA secretary to see what numbers are still available and then reserve the number you want.

Will there be a less expensive black and white and/or softcover edition of the 2010? No, at least not in the foreseeable future. The 1998 edition where we did a run with black & white Schilling illustrations in a softcover did not turn out to be a very beneficial item for the APA. At the start the cost was $24.00, and VERY FEW were sold those first few years it was out. It wasn't until the APA ended up toward the end moving them out at below what it cost the APA that they suddenly got very popular. To do a black and white, less expensively bound version of the 2010 ASOP was projected to cost almost as much as the 2001 color edition, which would mean it wouldn't be $12 - more like $35. Plus, having a competing edition would impact sales of the 2010 color edition. The APA is exploring other variations on the theme, where a document wouldn't be a Standard, but perhaps just a focused piece on one breed or even just one variety. For now the bargain hunters will need to haunt ebay for deals on past editions. Oh yea, we also got LOTS of complaints about how flimsy the cover and binding were on the softcover. Cheaper materials, less lifespan. It was as simple as that.

Will there be any kind of CD or digital ASOP coming out? Again, no, at least not in the near future. A digital version (searchable DVD or similar format) was investigated, and we just couldn't get adequate assurances that such a format couldn't be easily pirated. Also, while the duplication of a CD/DVD version (playable on DVD players for example) would be less expensive, the initial design and set-up to make it easily searchable is apparently an expensive proposition. With hardcopies most of the cost is in the printing/binding. With digital versions most of the cost is in the design/set-up side. We had an example of such a reference book done in Europe where the big problem proved to be the fast-moving technology. The software used to access the info on CD got obsolete and was left in the digital dust after a couple years. No upgrade, no user support - just the suggestion to buy another book using newer software. How frustrating would that be? We'll continue to explore how we might make the jump to digital hyperspace with the ASOP, but it may still be a while.

What if I'm only interested in one breed? The Standard of Perfection obviously has the whole realm of the recognized North American poultry world. If you are only interested in a smidgen of that poultry palette, one can copy limited excerpts from your library copy or from a friend's edition. That type of use is OK under the Fair Use Doctrine guidelines. You couldn't photocopy hundreds of versions of the Columbian Wyandotte description and sell them for $1 each. That would NOT be allowable. As mentioned earlier, standard descriptions of a limited nature are allowed on the breed club websites (used with permission from the APA) and so you can look to some of those resources if you really only want info on one breed.

Income? Who needs that ASOP income? The American Poultry Association, with all its current programs and initiatives, takes about $100,000 per year. For several years that level of income came about half from membership dues and half from sales of items - and the big dog item in that sales array has always been the Standard of Perfection. It's THE guidebook - and only the APA creates it. And because it is a reference, it naturally gets updated periodically and so we have a fresh pool of purchasers on a cyclical schedule. It would be great to have a more balanced array of products or books to sell, but so far we haven't found too many of those other items besides the Standard that everyone wants to buy. If the APA were to just make the Standard of Perfection available free on the website as some have suggested (like the American Kennel Club), then much of that sales revenue would be gone and memberships would have to just about double to make up for those sales. We really don't have the option like the American Rabbit Breeders Assn. or the AKC to get revenue from "clutch fees" or chicken registrations. It might be fun to dream about it, but it will likely never happen.

So, if you are interested in purchasing a 2010 American Standard of Perfection, visit the APA website and ping the webstore. It is a fine reference, and if you check out comparable books I think you'll find that the $59 pricetag isn't at all out of line.

Sam Brush
President, American Poultry Association

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom