Wed chicks diahrea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickaadee, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Chickaadee

Chickaadee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Ky
    I have 4 little BO's and they have really grown since I brought them home on Wed. I have one that just started with the diahree. I keep them right by my desk and I have a dog pee pad down and 5 layers of paper towels and change the papers alot. They are on medicated feed. Is there anything that I can do before they get too sick I change there water several times a day but there food always looks ok. What do you think is wrong? could it stress?
    Thank you
    Mary

2. Chickaadee

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Ky
    well the poop has gone to liquid brown Miss Priss is a little smaller than the other three but she always has.there growing good their feathers on there wings are getting longer and there getting little tail feathers, Miss Priss is a little behind on the feathers but there still growing.
    Mary

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Poor things! If they are eating and drinking good, and do not seem sick I would just watch for any problems. I don't know what you can give a small chick. Hopefully someone else on here will post with an answer. I'm sorry![​IMG]

Maybe it was a switch in their food since you just got them!?! The other people might have been giving them something different! Hopefully they will get over it soon!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't have any magic answer either. But most of my chicks had stools that varied between liquid and semi-solid for the first several days. They are fine. If they are eating and active, I agree, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

5. Chickaadee

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Ky
    Thats good to know I was worried. With dogs you know if there poops go off something is going on I'm glad that isnt the same with chickens. I have had them 9 days boy have I used the paper towels lol. I figure they were 2 or 3 days old when I got them at the tractore store.
    Thanks again
    Mary

6. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We always put 1 Tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar (vinegar with the mother still in it) per gallon in the water. That really helps with loose stools.

But I will say the stress of shipping, new surroundings, vaccinations--can upset their little systems and sometimes there are loose poos. Hopefully they will come around quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by