Weed Stop/weed killer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JMC721, Jul 13, 2016.

1. JMC721

JMC721 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Curious to know if anyone has used this on their lawn? Is this dangerous to animals that forage? How long should I wait to let my hens back out or is there a "safer" weed killer that the DH should get? Thanks!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO, there are NO safe weed killers. You can do a home made concoction that has white vinegar and dish detergent as a base. There may be other ingredients as well. I have no idea how effective this stuff will be, but it will "burn" every leaf it touches. May take multiple applications, and it may take a toll on the soil. If you're looking for a "golf green" lawn. without any weeds, you can either give up that idea, or keep your chickens in their run at all times. I'm happy with just plain green, and consider the clover and dandelions to be a nice nutritional additive. Burdock, creeping charlie, and thistles are more of a nuisance, but I'd not spray them.

BTW, [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Green is good, weed killers, not so much. Vinegar may kill some weeds as a spot- on application, but treating lawns with herbicides is a bad idea. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by