Weeee!!! My house is moving!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hollymh, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    So we had a nice earthquake a moment ago, no worries I live in a giant concrete house, I'm not going nowhere and everyone is fine! Although my first earthquake scared me so bad I cried and I don't cry easily... [​IMG]

I always get a headache before we get an earthquake; it's the weirdest thing ever!!! I don’t know what possessed me to share that, but to have your world wobbled around under you is very humanizing...

Have you ever experienced an earthquake?!

I will say the one we just had was about a 4.2 mag, I will check USGS and get back to what it really
    was...

ETA: I guessed 4.2 but it was a 4.6, the biggest I have felt is a 6.0 and my God that was scray, it was like the exorcist; all my doors started opening and closing(sliding closets doors) and the loud boom! It was 1159 and I was checking on my eggs, so I was the only one up SCARY lol I really was waiting for my chandelaeer to fall off the ceiling but it never did, it just swung back and forth...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Wow!! I can honestly say i have never experienced and earthquake and hope I never do.

Hope all is well with you and your neighbors.

3. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I was in Guam when an 8.5 hit. Lasted almost a minute and lots of damage. I remember standing by the bed and it felt like I was surfing, trying to maintain balance. It was back in the 90's.

Cheri

4. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    My first and only earthquake was in Okinawa and it was over before I realized what it was.

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I have lived in CA my whole life...had lots of quakes. They freak me out every time! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

4.2 is an E ticket!! Foot massage. [​IMG]

7. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I'm a California native. It was always funny to see the newbies during an earthquake. They'd be diving for cover at the first rumble (sometimes even a sonic boom). Meanwhile, the natives wait a few seconds to see if it's a good size one, before we even move out of our chairs.

8. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My aunt used to get a headache before an earthquake! It was pretty rare around here, but she'd always call my mom, so that she had proof of her "earthquake warning." We always thought it was because she rarely left her property and spent all her time around her many animals. Gave her a sort of sixth sense, or something.

The only one I've felt was in 2001, a 6.8. I was in 8th grade, sitting in the school's basement waiting for Leadership class to start. At first I thought it was the school's boiler turning on. [​IMG] Then the teacher ran in and was like, everyone OUT. (yes, we were under the desks at the time, and no, the quake wasn't over) We all ran onto the field and waited. We were the only school in the district that couldn't go to school the next day because of the cracks found in the gym. I thought it was a super fun day!

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Where's a terrified smiley when you need one?

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:This would mean a lot more if I knew where you are. Even just the state would be nice!

I've almost always lived in quake zones- we get mild tremors here in coastal South Carolina a lot. And there is something about them, I always get an uneasy feeling right before the stronger ones.

In Quito, Ecuador they were a daily occurrence, because of the volcano at the edge of the city.

edit spelling!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by