Week by week photos of a Muscovy duckling...weeks 5, 6 and now week 7 included

I am not sure GQ, I know you have had more experience since you've had more drakes but standing beside a 3yr old bantam at 6 weeks old makes me think duck. The legs are pretty thick though, but my last duck who is 14 weeks old now has pretty thick legs for a girl. Humm

It's more the length that makes me go hmm.. heck i dunno these Muscovy are enough to drive you crazy lol Either way OP you have two choices. boy or girl for sure.
lol.png

When you look at the duckling straight on it's legs don't look that thick but from the side they do look thick.

One of the boys from the June hatch has a fairly thin leg in comparison and he's definitely a boy.. i think it can and does vary, again i noticed when the legs are tall that indicates drake.. when the babies legs started becoming taller than Lilly(duck who raised them) that cinched it for me they were not girls.

That's Macy Miss Lydia!
smile.png
She was so cute.
_MG_4878.jpg

She's a big girl now and threatening broodiness for the third time this year. I thought the season would be over by now! She was raised by a broody though last year at this time.
_MG_3335.jpg

She has very thick canckles. I was struggling for the longest time with her gender. I had nothing to compare her to. She also seems very bow-legged, but gets around no problem.

That duck reminds me of my dusty. She actually doesn't have that much facial flesh, my Lilac has more..

That's Macy Miss Lydia!
smile.png
She was so cute.
_MG_4878.jpg

She's a big girl now and threatening broodiness for the third time this year. I thought the season would be over by now! She was raised by a broody though last year at this time.
_MG_3335.jpg

She has very thick canckles. I was struggling for the longest time with her gender. I had nothing to compare her to. She also seems very bow-legged, but gets around no problem.
She is still very pretty, but isn't amazing how much they change. I have to discourage at least 4 of mine not to go broody again.
barnie.gif
Is she your only Scovie?

She is still very pretty, but isn't amazing how much they change. I have to discourage at least 4 of mine not to go broody again. :barnie Is she your only Scovie?  
Yep my only one. I do have one call duck drake, so when they start laying eggs she can hatch out their eggs. I doubt very much that my call duck can fertilize her eggs - but even so I would remove them (if I could find them) before she could set. She could cover a ton of call duck eggs!

The calls are more sporting/pet quality - and the breeder had said they have a very high hatch rate. Their bills and necks aren't as small and compact as you'd picture. I think Macy would love being a mother, and would be very good at it. She's going to have to wait though.

Do you find they make weird noises when broody? It's very distinct.

They change very fast, and the colours change as well. :)

Yep my only one. I do have one call duck drake, so when they start laying eggs she can hatch out their eggs. I doubt very much that my call duck can fertilize her eggs - but even so I would remove them (if I could find them) before she could set. She could cover a ton of call duck eggs!
The calls are more sporting/pet quality - and the breeder had said they have a very high hatch rate. Their bills and necks aren't as small and compact as you'd picture. I think Macy would love being a mother, and would be very good at it. She's going to have to wait though.
Do you find they make weird noises when broody? It's very distinct.
They change very fast, and the colours change as well.
smile.png
She'll be a great mama duck to what ever eggs you give her. and yes they do have different sounds when broody, and pinch like the daylights too. lol

She'll be a great mama duck to what ever eggs you give her. and yes they do have different sounds when broody, and pinch like the daylights too. lol 
Yep. I have a blood blister to prove it.

She's definitely in broody mode. This time her nest was really easy to find, and it's in the barn.

Her eggs are HUGE. I don't mean jumbo huge, I mean goose size HUGE.

But I guess technically they are just as much a goose as they are a duck ;)

Only eggs I'd be worried about giving her is chicken eggs. When I took the eggs away from her last time - she was on them, I removed her and the eggs did not feel as warm as my broody chickens' eggs. Is that normal? Anyway, her eggs started to smell last time :sick

Yep. I have a blood blister to prove it.
She's definitely in broody mode. This time her nest was really easy to find, and it's in the barn.
Her eggs are HUGE. I don't mean jumbo huge, I mean goose size HUGE.
But I guess technically they are just as much a goose as they are a duck
wink.png

Only eggs I'd be worried about giving her is chicken eggs. When I took the eggs away from her last time - she was on them, I removed her and the eggs did not feel as warm as my broody chickens' eggs. Is that normal? Anyway, her eggs started to smell last time
sickbyc.gif
I know some have used a Scovie to hatch chicks but I think I'll leave the chickens to do that. but I would in a heart beat put goose eggs under one, thats how I got my gander. She'll do great with call babies

I know some have used a Scovie to hatch chicks but I think I'll leave the chickens to do that. but I would in a heart beat put goose eggs under one, thats how I got my gander. She'll do great with call babies 
I don't expect Tilly or Rosa to lay for at least another year. :p Oh I am just going to die when I get some buff dewlap toulouse goslings. :love

Back
Top Bottom