Week Old Black Copper Marans Chicks - Sexing by Feather color? Pictures added!

I got eight chicks yesterday, and the breeder called me this morning to tell me that the two Marans where not sexed. I found some links on feather sexing and will hope for the best!

slow developing tail feathers are usually sign that its a boy. I have 4 black copper marans chicks who are 3 weeks old, I am fairly certain 2 are boys and one still doesnt have any tail feathers. Also, their combs and wattles are redder & far more developed than the other two. Watch the combs of your two carefully, that will give you an better idea soon.
I hope this is True I just picked up 4 BCM and 3 have tail feathers and one has none yet that would be a great thing for me to have 3 hens and one roo
woot.gif

I have a new Black Copper Maran chick as well and was told by the breeder that is was a pullet; however, he used a feather sexing method, so I'm not so sure. Of the four chicks I got, "Lucy" is the slowest to develop (smallest, getting feathers last, small tail, etc). The other three are different breeds, so I'm not sure if it just that Marans are slower than other breeds. I did notice today that Lucy's new wing feathers have specks of copper. I'm beginning to suspect Lucy may be a Larry ... but no comb to speak of??? She is about 3 weeks old. Any opinions?

I have a new Black Copper Maran chick as well and was told by the breeder that is was a pullet; however, he used a feather sexing method, so I'm not so sure. Of the four chicks I got, "Lucy" is the slowest to develop (smallest, getting feathers last, small tail, etc). The other three are different breeds, so I'm not sure if it just that Marans are slower than other breeds. I did notice today that Lucy's new wing feathers have specks of copper. I'm beginning to suspect Lucy may be a Larry ... but no comb to speak of??? She is about 3 weeks old. Any opinions?

At three weeks I would expect more feathering, so it is possible. The copper coming in is suspicious also. Good thing though, the comb is still small. So, unfortunately a few more weeks should give you an answer.

Back
Top Bottom