week old chick is scratching and crying and freaking out!

bitsygiggles

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 14, 2011
I can't see any mites or lice that I can tell. And cant imagine how there'd be any. they've been indoors since the start. she seems to be scratching her ears, then completely flipping out and ending up on her back scrathing at her neck. She peeps and peeps, scratching, then rests awhile head thrown back, and still on her back. Then starts back at it. Everyone else is fine. trying to sleep through her fits. What can I do? I rub her little ears and neck, and she seems to like this. It's the middle of the night, how can I help her? what could it be?
hit.gif

New feathers growing in are itchy, I hear. Could be as simple as she has new feathers growing in. Don't know if that is what it is, but it is a thought. Unfortunately, I have no idea how you can help alleviate the itching.

Is the chicket in a brooder with just other chicks, or are they in with the hen? If just with other chicks, I would get a little stuffed animal to put in with them. They love to crawl on them and cuddle in the nooks and crannies. It will also give them something soft to rub and scratch any itches if that's the case. They just seem to find them very comforting - also helps quiet a lot of the peeping. Just make sure it's not one that has a lot of excess fancy trim, threads, buttons, etc. that they could easily pull off and try to eat - think kid safe.

I had a day old chick doing the exact thing a couple of days ago. I couldn't find anything on it or wrong with it. The next day it had stopped. I thought that perhaps it was some of the egg residue that had dried and was perhaps making it itch.

Quote:
Yes still with the other chicks. no hen..'cept me lol.
I will try a stuffie..since no one wants to cuddle her as her fits keeps jarring the others from their sleep.
She seems less upset today. I don't think this is an isolated incident for her. My daughter came when she was just a few days old and said "mum one of the chicks is stuck on her back!!" she wasn't when I checked, but I think its been going on for awhile for her. her skin is very dry in the area she is scratching, I hope it doesn't lead to sores, as with another post I just read..
here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279632

I am the one with the 5 day old baby chick scratching, crying and ending on her back in distress. Keep me updated as well if you find what may be causing it. So far, I have been putting her inside a small box while she has the episode so she does not bother the others sleeping and does not go banging against the food and water container.. I have noticed that when she gets better she flies out of the box (I am not sure if she flies out when she feels better or if the fact of flying out of the box dislodges whatever bothers her)....
the oddest thing is that it happens always in the evening and that it always goes away when she flies out of the box...
I thought at first that perhaps the grit I was giving was getting inside her eyes or ears.. so I stopped feeding it but no changes..
it must be something serious though because when it happens she cares less about being picked up, cares less about getting wet or being upside down.. these are things that healthy chicks in my opinion would care about
I am wondering if I should clip the nails to avoid getting a wound but am not sure how short you can cut a chick's nails..

Rather than clipping, I would use an emery board to dull the nails. I would also use some olive oil on the area she's scratching to see if that won't help.

Quote:

I tried the olive oil near the ears.. made no difference but the oil on her fur now has helped me distinguish her from the others.. I am starting to suspect that it may be an ear infection in mine.. she does a lot of head shaking and when she scratches she aims at both ears.. she is also a bit reluctant to drink which makes sense since ear infections are painful upon swallowing.. I am adding tetracycline to her water and see if she gets better....can't think of anything else... will see how it goes and will keep posted..

Last edited:
I tried to trim a bit the nails using my dog's dremmel tool. Did not smoothen as much as I wanted. Her neck is getting really red now from the scratching and I am afraid she will end up wounded pretty soon. I wish chicks could wear elizabethan collars, I would custom make one for her..having chicks was supposed to fun..this chick instead is only causing me worries...
sad.png
its just horrible watching her scratch and getting her neck raw...

Back
Top Bottom