Week-old chick not looking good, help!

Paulinefrn

Songster
Aug 7, 2018
Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)
Hey everyone,
I just got two new babies about a week ago, they both looked very healthy until today. Today, one of them wasn't following as closely, wasn't running to the mother when she made her little sounds showing she has food, ect. Even yesterday they were both completely fine, running around and after each other.
It's a particularly hot day today, and that chick is completely black so I thought he might've been overheating, I took him inside for a bit where we have the AC on. His poop is very watery, it's nothing but warm water coming out every few minutes. I don't know if I should give him more fluids? Sugar water?
Also I saw online that a protein heavy diet might cause watery poop and, although there is normal food (not chick starter, we don't have access to it on island), they are in the same enclosure as my other chickens and I have been feeding them leftovers which have been particularly protein heavy in the past few days. Could that be the cause?
Now the baby is inside with me, eyes closed, standing up, breathing heavily and not making any noise.
What should I do?

JPEG_20200227_120608_2490090166675204107.jpg

I don't know if I should give him more fluids? Sugar water?
If the chick is still drinking... I would offer electrolyte water recipe follows..

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
If the chick won't drink on it's on, hold in your hand, beak facing bent forefinger and drip a drop just below the nostrils using your finger to help direct the drop and beak together. As it rolls around the chick will naturally swallow it and no fear of aspiration.

Sometimes things are going on that we can't detect or correct...

It sounds like possible toxin. Any chance those left over went rancid? Or any oil or chemical spill? Salmonella or something like that, or wet feed that got moldy?

The electrolyte solution should help to avoid dehydration.

Under extreme conditions I will offer a chick raw egg yolk straight (from my own flock) as it has all the nutrients needed to sustain life (in theory) and easily digested in addition to usually being very palatable.

ETA: the chicks age is indicative that it may NOT be coccidiosis... since it takes 7 days from exposure for symptoms to appear. But it's always good to be on the look out for!

This is the best I can come up with so far. :fl

If the chick is still drinking... I would offer electrolyte water recipe follows..

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
If the chick won't drink on it's on, hold in your hand, beak facing bent forefinger and drip a drop just below the nostrils using your finger to help direct the drop and beak together. As it rolls around the chick will naturally swallow it and no fear of aspiration.

Sometimes things are going on that we can't detect or correct...

It sounds like possible toxin. Any chance those left over went rancid? Or any oil or chemical spill? Salmonella or something like that, or wet feed that got moldy?

The electrolyte solution should help to avoid dehydration.

Under extreme conditions I will offer a chick raw egg yolk straight (from my own flock) as it has all the nutrients needed to sustain life (in theory) and easily digested in addition to usually being very palatable.

ETA: the chicks age is indicative that it may NOT be coccidiosis... since it takes 7 days from exposure for symptoms to appear. But it's always good to be on the look out for!

This is the best I can come up with so far. :fl

Thank you, I gave her a bit of the electrolyte solution. I don't have baking soda, but I have baking powder. Didn't put it in the solution because I wasn't sure if it was alright for the chick. The leftovers weren't rancid, I have no idea how some chemicals would end up with them but I live in a very hot and humid place, mold is actually pretty likely but I'm usually careful with that. The other chick is completely fine though?
Thank you so much for the response, I really hope the chick gets better but she's so young.. I felt so bad for taking her away from the mom but I don't want to risk the other chick getting something if it's contagious

Do you have any amprolium?
I would treat immediately for potential coccidiosis.
If the chicks have been outside in hot weather with adult chickens around they're is always the possibility of contracting coccidiosis.

The only store that might sell that is on the other side of the island, about a 30min drive, and I'm not even sure they'd have it. The droppings aren't bloody, I've never had a case of coccidiosis before. Obviously I'd drive there if I need to but should I?

The only store that might sell that is on the other side of the island, about a 30min drive, and I'm not even sure they'd have it. The droppings aren't bloody, I've never had a case of coccidiosis before. Obviously I'd drive there if I need to but should I?
I would call before driving if I was gonna go.

Coccidia are in every single chicken poo... it only becomes an issue when too many are ingested... often after the water has been pooped in. Only one strain out of 7-9 that effect chickens will actually produce bloody stools.

No baking powder would not have worked because is the sodium bicarbonate in the baking soda... so good choice to just skip it! Gatorade, sports drinks, or pedialyte is a quick fix for some folks in the US with regards to electrolytes.

Is your little one showing any improvement? Is it staying warm? :fl

Back
Top Bottom