Week Old Chick now Lethargic had Pasty Butt won't eat on own.

Rebecca13

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Story version of what is going on with the chick:
I am new to the bird trade. I have 6 chicks I brought home on Saturday. On Sunday I noticed one had pasty butt, so i cleaned her up and put her back with the crew. She seemed OK. On Monday I had to work until noon in the office, I came home and noticed she was lethargic and had some poop still stuck on her butt. I cleaned her up again (I rinsed her butt only under not too hot not too cold water and dried her off with a towel), and put her with her siblings. I was giving her water with electrolytes and probiotics (save-a-chick brand) on a q-tip, she seemed receptive to that.
Today (Tuesday) I moved her into her own container with a light, the temp is staying steady at 96F. I've been giving her the water on a q-tip every hour to half hour, she's also drinking a bit on her own. I tried giving her Caro Syrup, since we didn't have molasses, she didn't really want it. I think a little bit got in her. She is still lethargic and breathing hard at times.

Numbered questions answered:
1) Type of bird: 1 1/2 week old Rhode Island Red
2) Behavior: She is lethargic, breathing heavy at times, laying down most of the time. Will not eat, drinks if I show her the water or if I give it to her on a q-tip.
3) She's been showing symptoms since Sunday night (it is Tuesday when I'm writing this).
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No other symptoms in the other 5 chicks.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - unknown, I believe she had pasty butt when I brought her home.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - Water with Save A Chick brand probiotic and electrolyte additives. Not eating.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - Poop is runny and white, it was foamy and white yesterday. It is no longer sticking to her vent.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - I have given her the water mentioned above on a q-tip, she takes it sometimes. I've also dripped it down the side of the container she is in and she will attack it. She also will drink the water out of a dish when I show it to her.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd like to treat her completely if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I attached a photo of how she is laying/sitting most of the time.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Currently she is by herself on paper towel with food and water close by and a heat lamp (96F). The brooder we've created is a large metal feed bucket with newspaper on the bottom covered in pine shavings, a red heat lamp on one side (I'm trying to keep the temp steady between 95F-100F), water in a dish that's elevated, food is in a container.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. Those I've talked to that have chickens say this sometimes happens and chicks don't always make it. It's sad. But I want to do all I can to help this little girl have the best shot at life.

Thank you and I'm so sorry my first post is about this.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 61
The temperature is a bit too warm for a week and half old. I would lower it to 90 or a bit lower, unless she seems cold. Put a thermometer on the floor. Red heat lamps are hot, and a metal brooder could heat up. Too much heat can cause constipation and dehydration. I would try to feed the chick some ground up chick crumbles in water and get her eating. Egg yolk would be good to offer as well. Poultry NutriDrench is a vitamin electrolyte boost that you can give orally 2 drops daily. Pasty butt is frequently seen in shipped chicks, and if not quickly seen early can continue and block the vent. I have seen a lot of chicks in feed stores with this, looking weak, and no one seems to pay attention. The ones I have gotten in the mail, may continue to have pasty butt each day for up to a week or 10 days. Dipping the beak into water often can help get fluids into them. It seems that you are doing all you can to help, and I hope that she makes it.

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. I've lowered the temp a tad & offered her some egg yolk. She was interested for a bit and ate a little. :)

She actually had a huge bowel movement that I cleaned off her, she then screamed so long and loud in her quarintine box that we put her back with the other chicks. I'm keeping an eye on her (it's in the same room as me.). I will for sure keep you updated. :)

Yes, things are looking up. I put her back with her sisters, she's eating and drinking on her own, still a bit more sleepy than the others, but she's much more awake than before and moving around. Thank you thank you!

Back
Top Bottom