week old chick very weak

Icedangel11

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
I found she'd fallen outside of the house earlier this morning and had been laying down. She was alert and pretty responsive despite seeming very tired. I made her drink some water and put her back.

I just come back and she's a bit cold and very unresponsive. If I rub her and really fuss her she'll cheap in protest. She's coldish and just lays flat. I've got her in a special heater on her own right now and am going to try some sugar water. Her crop is empty so she hasn't been eating. What should I do? :(

She looks like she has a tiny cut on one of her legs and she's an easter egger. I brought her home on the 20th.

She drank some water, then pooed out plain water and then threw it up some more water. She doesn't want to open her eyes.

Welcome to BYC. Do you have some chick electrolytes that you can put in the water and dip her beak into? Sugar in some water or undiluted Pedialyte or gatorade would work too. She may be too stressed from getting out of the brooder to make it, but try to warm her and keep dipping the beak to get her to drink.

I'm not entirely sure. I tried the sugar water and she drank a few sips, then threw up the water and pooped it out. She had to have gotten smushed to get out of the brooder but she was okay for a while after getting out.

Could she have been fatally injured? She was 'flatter' than my other chicks by the end.

I'm not entirely sure. I tried the sugar water and she drank a few sips, then threw up the water and pooped it out. She had to have gotten smushed to get out of the brooder but she was okay for a while after getting out.

Could she have been fatally injured? She was 'flatter' than my other chicks by the end.
She could have been internally injured, but more than likely she went into shock. It is very difficult to save a week old chick once they have a serious problem, and shock is probably one of the most common/serious problems that can come from being trampled, frightened and cold. Most of the time they are fine after a fall, my guess is that she got trampled by the rest. The last chick that died in my hands also threw up (sort of) and pooped at the moment that they died. Don't know why that happened...but sounds like it was the same in your chick's case.

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

I just lost three more chicks today. :( They'd been in with a rabbit and I think the rabbit stomped them to death. The rabbits have been removed and I've brought my two favorite chicks to live inside with me until they are a month old. They aren't happy being separated from the flock, but until I can figure out for SURE it was the rabbits I won't risk them.

Sorry for your loss. Can you get a few more chicks now to put with them? It would still be pretty safe to integrate new chicks with your week olds if you do it now. If one of your two chicks dies, the other will be very lonely by itself, and it would be harder to re-integrate into the flock. If you have other chicks already, I would keep them all together so they will stay bonded as a group.

Well currently I still have 6 of the week olds alive, and they are running with 6 more who are two weeks old. So their little flock of 12 is running around with the rabbits separate.

I had brought two of the six inside, but it seemed to stress them more than anything, so they are back with their flock. I just worry a lot because I DONT want to lose those two babies. :(

Back
Top Bottom