week old chicks dying, white poop

Joelle

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 23, 2009
West Central Missouri
This is new to me. I have lost 2 chicks and another one is lethargic and dying. It did poop in front of me and the poop is solid white. The first one died within a few days, I found one dead yesterday and now this one. I feed them medicated chick starter and I gave them some clover to peck around in a few days ago, which they ate. I am wondering whether that is the reason or if it maybe something else. There are now 14 of them. Any ideas anyone?

If these chicks are just a week old (or less) do not give them anything but chick crumbles and room temperature water. If you want to give treats, stick with yogurt or scrambled egg. Anything else requires giving grit so their gizzard can process the food. Personally, I don't start my chicks on greens, fruits, or veggies with grit until they are about 4 weeks old. Chick crumbles give them all the nutrition they need and they don't require treats to make them like you. The clover may be the problem, especially if you did not provide grit at the same time.

Thanks Jean. I didnt give them clover to eat, just so they would have something to scratch around in. I was shocked to see it all gone! I did give them some scrambled eggs last night and they ate most of it. They chicks remaining look okay. I did get a poop sample so I am going to take it in and see if my friend (a vet) sees any cocci in it. They havent been on soil, but then there is the grass issue again.

Back
Top Bottom