Week old chicks-orange,brown and runny poop

I am seeing the EXACT same poop and am worried...two chicks have died so far but they were smaller and I was blaming it on the heat and probs hatching. Hoping I bump this and someone can tell us for sure. U have an update?
Treat for cocci,acts quickly and kills very fast. Get corid(amprol) Dosage for corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water, dosage for corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water.Make sure this is the only water they have to drink. Treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,interferes with medication. Give vitamins after treatment,to replace vitamins depleted during treatment.

Last edited:
My chicks - now 9 weeks old - did that when they were a few weeks old, too. I realised the brooder was too hot and they were drinking too much and reducing the brooder temp helped. I think the great majority of it is caecal poop and I'd keep an eye on the chicks to make sure they're doing regular poo's, too.

BTW, I had ACV in their water and ground up some old fashioned oats real fine, sprinkling them dry on their crumble. Poo's straightened right out.

You can see from the picture that the poop is runny one time they poop and the next it is totally normal.What do you think this is and what should I do? They are on medicated chick feed and water. They are active, alert, eating and drinking fine.Ive looked all over the internet and this site and havent quite found poop to match it with.Back story is theyre a week old. Got them on Sunday. From the picture you can see that the poop is watery and orange/brown. I dont think there is any blood in it
My rule has always been,if i am concerned or not sure,i treat for cocci. Treating chicks will not hurt them,but not treating(if they have cocci)will probably kill them. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom