Week old chicks with a deadly bully. Need advice!

MissRaychel91

Chirping
Jul 15, 2018
This is my first batch of chicks ever. I ordered 6 day old chicks from My Pet Chicken, 2 buff Brahma bantams, 2 white silkie bantams, and 2 black frizzle Cochin bantams.
They will be 1 week old tomorrow. The buff Brahmas have grown faster than the others and 1 of them, the biggest, started pecking all the others vents and faces really bad. Luckily I caught it doing it before blood was drawn. The others would cry out in pain. The brahma just wouldn't stop for nothing and it was nonstop.
I separated it from all the rest in a smaller clear bin brooder right next to the others so they can still see each other.
Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?
Culling isn't an option here as I would never kill an animal.
Thanks in advance

Well they aren't different classes I thought. Aren't bantams all one kind? That's what MPC said. They are all small breeds. But that bully just happened to grow a tiny bit more, not much though.

What are the dimensions of the brooder? What are you doing for a heat source? Did you order sexed bantams from MPC?

20180715_174023.jpg
Here's a pic, it's the largest tub Wal-Mart had, but I have a very very large watermelon gaylord box that I was going to move them into in another week.
Maybe I could just move them into it sooner? That way they can all be together?

I have a black ceramic light bulb, one that produces 150 watts but no light, it's at 90 now.
They aren't sexed, we got straight run.
So I'm not sure if that behavior means the bully is a boy or girl or not...

The other Brahma is just as bad, iv separated them both from the rest and we are going to try and find them another home tomorrow. :( I just have too much going on to have to find a solution to this problem too.
I wish I could keep them and they would be calm like the rest but things just don't go my way...:confused:

Some chick crumbs I got from MPC. They got some scrambled eggs yesterday and the day before for their first treat, and then some pin head crickets which the mean one ate 2. with some chick grit ofcourse.Anything else I should be feeding?

Back
Top Bottom