Week old chicks

I will try that out. I need to go get them some food additives anyway. The chick feed we got is not medicated so we need to give them whatever it is they are supposed to be getting right now.

Medicated chick feed only protects against cocci infections.

I have had good results with electrolyte solution in the water. But, I never raised any chicks without the electrolytes so I really don't know if it's any better
hmm.png
But I do know that the pasty butt thing is rather common and shouldn't have to worry about the chicks are about two weeks old.

I thought medicated chick feed was supposed to be a must, either that or something in the water. Are Cocci infections common, serious, worth going the extra step to protect against?

I found these posts on other threads:

The whole point of medicated feed is to suppress the growth and reproduction of the Coccidia parasite, which can be found in almost any soil in the world. Young chicks are not born with natural immunity of it, so the medicine in the feed slows down the parasite, which allows the chick to build it's immunity up without being overwhelmed.

With this in mind, I feed my chicks on medicated feed all throughout thier brooding, and for at least a week after they go outside. Afterwards you can just switch over to regular pullet developer up until they lay, then switch to laying feed.

I hope that helps clarify things for you, it's a method that works really well for myself, but there is no set rule and many people have good results from different methods too.

If you only have a few pet chickens and you neighbours don't have any other chickens, then it should not be a problem feeding non medicated feed. I don't like to use chemicals or medications unless its really needed, I like my bird to build up their own strong immune system and not become dependant on meds.

I have never used medicated food or vaccinated any on my chicks. I have never lost a bird to disease or illness. In my area we even have lots of neighbours chickens roaming around and mixing with my flock. The only issue I had was scaly leg - which I cured with oil easily.

I think the medicated food and other stuff is essential for people keeping large commercial flocks, as disease can spread quickly in these situations and it costs a lot of time and money to sort out the problem.
So basically, there is probably cocci in the soil in your yard. The risk is higher if you have adult chickens roaming around. Your chicks will be exposed to it at some point. The medicated feed will help their immune system resist being overwhelmed by the cocci IF they are already eating it, get exposed, and contract some cocci.
They will also be able to naturally develop resistance if they are raised by a broody hen, or have limited exposures starting early in life. With or without medicated feed, they may still develop an infection, in which case you will have to treat with Corid or some other medication - the feed does not treat infections.

I have been using unmedicated and allowing them limited exposure to our backyard starting at around 10 days old - my chicks were vaccinated for Marek's and it takes about 10 days for that vaccine to take hold, so it isn't recommended to bring them anywhere where there are other birds until that time. These are our first chickens and no other chickens have been in our yard.

Hope this is helpful!!

That clears up the need for it. For now our chicks are in a brooder in the living room so I will probably get something for them before we take them out in the yard. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom