Weekly short story writing contests!

how far does someone go to overcome their challenges? How far will you go to win? Even if it means giving up your best friend? The one who stood by you through everything you worked for.
I sat astride my pony Jamie as he burst into a canter heading for the solid fence which bore down on us as we approached. 1,2,3 liftoff. I lifted myself out the saddle placing pressure on his neck to hold me up as he jumped. I turned him sharply to face the next cross country fence. We took that one easier than the last, at the end I rode back to the group of riders with a cocky grin on my face, I knew I was good. I could never resist rubbing my success in Lara’s face and today would be no different. “Hi Lara” I said as innocently as I could manage “so how do you think I did?” I quickly jumped back in before she could give a snarky response “because Jim thinks I did great”. When I say Jim I’m referring to our instructor, he was a fantastic rider who had taught me everything I knew. Lara rolled her brown eyes and gave me the reaction I had been waiting for “whatever” she snapped. I know it seems kinda mean and like I’m bullying her but it’s called payback. She bullied me through middle school. We are now in year ten and I’m getting payback. “Amilie” Jim said pulling me from my gleeful thoughts, “can you stay behind after the lesson? We need to have a chat.” I felt my stomach drop, this couldn’t be bad, right? I was doing as well as ever. Lara lent over “what can I say? Karma.” The smirk on her face made me cringe, the same Lara was there, the one which had teased me all through middle school. And I was back in middle school, being called four eyes for wearing glasses and having school books thrown at me. And I was angry, I was so so mad at her for that. I kept my cool and turned to Lara “we will see who comes out on top” I said coolly. She laughed before Jim dismissed the lesson, Mira glanced at me as she rode her pinto past “good luck” she whispered. We all new it wasn’t good if someone was getting held back after a lesson. “Thanks” I tried to smile but my bottom lip started to quiver and felt the tears start to sting my eyes. She rode off with Lara and the rest of the team, I turned my attention back to Jim. He was eyeing Jamie, “I think you need a bigger horse which can take you further” he said suddenly. I looked at him, “w-what?” “You are really talented, so is Jamie but he can’t do the bigger jumps and your getting too big for a 14.2 pony” he explained, I stared at him. “That’s it? Your not kicking me off the team?” I couldn’t believe my luck, Jim burst out laughing “no of course not, anyway have a think about it, talk to your parents and see how they feel.” I sighed and nodded turning Jamie to head back towards the barn. As I halted, Lara saw me and smirked, “I guess I won’t be seeing Amilie again in lessons” she said loudly. I ignored her to the best I could, “her and that untalented nag” she continued. I lost it “you know what Lara, actually Jim said I’m talented and probably more talented than you. But you couldn’t see talent if it slapped you in the face”. She stared at me, I stared right back, “Lara” a voice said from the breezeway “you better shut your mouth. It’s catching flies.” I started laughing, the source of the voice, Mira. The hours I spent cleaning Jamie’s stall and brushing him down made me consider Jim’s proposal, a bigger horse. That would mean selling Jamie for sure, my parents can’t afford two horses. I lay my head on my grey ponies back, the years we had spent together had taught me so so much. By the afternoon when my mother picked me up I had come to a conclusion, I needed to expand my riding skills. I would move forward as a rider and a person.

@Butterscotchbitesfinger you will the winner for last week's contest! Although it was a tough choice to make. Now you get to pick the theme and later in the week the winner for this week's short story writing contest. I may make it as a writing contest that lasts two weeks though. It depends on how this week's contest goes.

@Butterscotchbitesfinger you will the winner for last week's contest! Although it was a tough choice to make. Now you get to pick the theme and later in the week the winner for this week's short story writing contest. I may make it as a writing contest that lasts two weeks though. It depends on how this week's contest goes.
Oh wow thanks! Hmm the theme... I will have a think and get back to you.

Great idea! I also want to write a story! I have never participated in such competitions before. But I love writing about chickens in my diary. Will it be considered a scam if I use the site where they help write? I once used it to study. They give advice on writing and help you edit. I'm just weak in grammar. But they know how to write interesting stories. Just in no patience to rest the stories of others)
@Misfits Farm 92 ur thread u make the call about the grammar site.

Great idea! I also want to write a story! I have never participated in such competitions before. But I love writing about chickens in my diary. Will it be considered a scam if I use the https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/loyalty/ site where they help write? I once used it to study. They give advice on writing and help you edit. I'm just weak in grammar. But they know how to write interesting stories. Just in no patience to rest the stories of others)
Ok the theme is Christmas

I hope this is still open.
Dacaw shook her wings. She stared at the human streets, shoulders hunched and beak clenched.
“I’m a bird, not a stomping, featherless human.” The crow grumbled to herself. Her mind wandered back to the conversation with her mother. ‘Oh Dacaw, think of Crow! He’s half human, we have to teach him about them.’ She huffed. Dacaw remembered perfectly well her response to that, which had been ignored. ‘He’s also half crow, and that’s the better half.’
Dacaw also remembered the scathing glare she had gotten from Cawander for that. Her aunt scared her even now that she was fully grown and mature.
Switching from those thoughts, she went back to scanning the streets and storefronts. The argument had all started when Ecawte had practically ordered the family to go and get “gifts” for each other. She had claimed that it was a human tradition that she had observed. But, apparently that was during the height of winter, while it was currently quickly becoming spring.
If Ecawte wanted us out of the Tree so badly, couldn’t she have just said so? There hasn’t been much of a reason lately to leave the Family Tree, as the recent rains had brought many tasty things with them.
Hmmph. Might as well get something for Tulcaw so Cawander doesn’t yell at me. Tulcaw was Cawander’s mate and Dacaw’s favorite aunt. She had looked up to her since she was a fledgling, about 2 1/2 years ago.
Cocking her head, Dacaw tried to focus back on her task. What to get for Tulcaw?
Her eyes alighted upon a colorful little thing gripped in a human-chick’s pudgy hand. Her eyes narrowed with satisfaction and a crooked grin alit upon her beak. Perfect.
Dacaw leapt off the branch of the stunted tree she was perched on. She swooped towards the human toy. Her claws shot forward. Almost...
Her claws almost grabbed it, but her aim wasn’t accurate enough, and the toy skittered to the ground. She had just a second to realize that it was a pinwheel toy before the adult human yelled at her and stomped its oh-so-stompable feet. Dacaw wheeled away, cawing at the human in annoyance, and landed atop a building.
“That went perfectly.” She muttered dryly.
A loud snickering caught Dacaw’s attention. She turned to regard the bird it was coming from. A bluejay.
“Whattaya want, bluey?”
The bluejay ceased in his giggling for a second. “You couldn’t even steal from a child!” He made several more noises which must’ve been some form of amusement. Dacaw narrowed her eyes in disgust.
“Ya crows are losing your skill! Ha! Never seen somethin’ sadder..” He went into another bout of laughter.
Dacaw, irked, hopped a few steps closer. “You think you’re real cool, eh? Don’t know if anyone told ya, but you look like a squirrel dipped in blue paint.”
The bluejay stopped laughing, glaring at her. “Don’t insult me cus I’m beautiful, bird.”
Dacaw snorted. “Beautiful? I’ve seen plastic lawn chairs prettier than you.”
“That’s it!” The bluejay squawked, wholly irritated. He hopped from foot to foot before darting forward and pecking at Dacaw, his thin black beak aiming for her shoulder feathers.
Dacaw hopped back, raising her wings. The bluejay paused for a moment.
Dacaw flapped her wings, making him step back. Then, she lunged forward, grabbing his flight feathers in her beak. The bluejay squawked and took off, a couple of his dislodged feathers floating to the ground.
Dacaw smirked. These’ll do good for Tulcaw. She picked up the two feathers and turned, lifting off. Time to go home.

Last edited:
I hope this is still open.
Dacaw shook her wings. She stared at the human streets, shoulders hunched and beak clenched.
“I’m a bird, not a stomping, featherless human.” The crow grumbled to herself. Her mind wandered back to the conversation with her mother. ‘Oh Dacaw, think of Crow! He’s half human, we have to teach him about them.’ She huffed. Dacaw remembered perfectly well her response to that, which had been ignored. ‘He’s also half crow, and that’s the better half.’
Dacaw also remembered the scathing glare she had gotten from Cawander for that. Her aunt scared her even now that she was fully grown and mature.
Switching from those thoughts, she went back to scanning the streets and storefronts. The argument had all started when Ecawte had practically ordered the family to go and get “gifts” for each other. She had claimed that it was a human tradition that she had observed. But, apparently that was during the height of winter, while it was currently quickly becoming spring.
If Ecawte wanted us out of the Tree so badly, couldn’t she have just said so? There hasn’t been much of a reason lately to leave the Family Tree, as the recent rains had brought many tasty things with them.
Hmmph. Might as well get something for Tulcaw so Cawander doesn’t yell at me. Tulcaw was Cawander’s mate and Dacaw’s favorite aunt. She had looked up to her since she was a fledgling, about 2 1/2 years ago.
Cocking her head, Dacaw tried to focus back on her task. What to get for Tulcaw?
Her eyes alighted upon a colorful little thing gripped in a human-chick’s pudgy hand. Her eyes narrowed with satisfaction and a crooked grin alit upon her beak. Perfect.
Dacaw leapt off the branch of the stunted tree she was perched on. She swooped towards the human toy. Her claws shot forward. Almost...
Her claws almost grabbed it, but her aim wasn’t accurate enough, and the toy skittered to the ground. She had just a second to realize that it was a pinwheel toy before the adult human yelled at her and stomped its oh-so-stompable feet. Dacaw wheeled away, cawing at the human in annoyance, and landed atop a building.
“That went perfectly.” She muttered dryly.
A loud snickering caught Dacaw’s attention. She turned to regard the bird it was coming from. A bluejay.
“Whattaya want, bluey?”
The bluejay ceased in his giggling for a second. “You couldn’t even steal from a child!” He made several more noises which must’ve been some form of amusement. Dacaw narrowed her eyes in disgust.
“Ya crows are losing your skill! Ha! Never seen somethin’ sadder..” He went into another bout of laughter.
Dacaw, irked, hopped a few steps closer. “You think you’re real cool, eh? Don’t know if anyone told ya, but you look like a squirrel dipped in blue paint.”
The bluejay stopped laughing, glaring at her. “Don’t insult me cus I’m beautiful, bird.”
Dacaw snorted. “Beautiful? I’ve seen plastic lawn chairs prettier than you.”
“That’s it!” The bluejay squawked, wholly irritated. He hopped from foot to foot before darting forward and pecking at Dacaw, his thin black beak aiming for her shoulder feathers.
Dacaw hopped back, raising her wings. The bluejay paused for a moment.
Dacaw flapped her wings, making him step back. Then, she lunged forward, grabbing his flight feathers in her beak. The bluejay squawked and took off, a couple of his dislodged feathers floating to the ground.
Dacaw smirked. These’ll do good for Tulcaw. She picked up the two feathers and turned, lifting off. Time to go home.
Nice Story!

Back
Top Bottom