? Weepy eggs?

dak

geek dvm
11 Years
Mar 21, 2010
I received eggs this morning in the mail, 2 of them were wet and sticky. Should I set these? Or are they goners. They were wrapped in plastic grocery bags for padding not bubble wrap. I've not had this before with shipped eggs. Any advive would be appreciated. dak

I've received grocery sack eggs, too- it's of no consequence if the eggs are good...but if they're weepy, get them outta there! Check to be certain on didn't get the other wet, and smell all of them.

You might put space between all of your eggs if you have room in the incubator, and I'd open and smell every few days. I even use a flashlight through the windows to see if there's any weepiness or shininess when I have eggs in question like that, because it can be a disaster to you whole hatch if one blows up and contaminates all of the others.

Yow! keep an eye on them!

Well I have a batch of SQ cochin eggs already in there and do not want to risk those for these. What is the actual cause of the weeping eggs? Are they rotten already? dak

eggs should not arrive weepy, at least I have never seen a fresh egg be weepy before. I think you may have gotten old eggs that sat out for a while. I would only set ones that look good (candel them) and keep a close eye on things. But if the eggs are not cracked and are actually leaking through the pores then get rid of those asap. now if they are cracked from shipping that is different, still dont set them though.

There are a couple of possibilities- one is benign: they may have just changed temperature and had condensation build, and with the plastic it id still present, whereas with paper towels around them you'd not realyy have noticed- IF that's th cause.

Another cause is bacteria building pressure inside as they reproduce...If that's the case you may already smell it, or they may be slimy. If it's not obvious, I'd just go ahead and put them in, but check every day for any moisture AT ALL. When I've had seepy eggs that were bad, they seeped while resting before incubating, so you may have the answer immediately.

Edit: grammar nazi

Last edited:
You can also tuck a paper towel under the row of new eggs, arcing over the Cochin eggs, so if there's a mishap, it won't compromise those. I do that for a few days when I'm not sure...I AM paranoid, ya know!!

I'd trash them weeping eggs.
Weeping is usually caused by gas building up in a bad egg.
The aircell grows larger from the increasing gas and the fluids in the egg leak out the pores.

Carolyn

Quote:
I have had them show up damp too, I put them in a carton w/lid in the bator just in case. They didn't smell and looked completely clear when I candled so I didn't suspect bacteria but was cautious anyway. I am assuming mine was the condensation....
Did you candle them? The only weeping egg I ever had looked yucky when candled....

I'll candle tonight and see if they're strange. They don't smell yet.

Thank you everybody for the responses! dak

Back
Top Bottom