Weight loss in extreme cold

Grizz1

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2016
Our chickens (Buff Orpington's and Black Australorp's) have lost weight this winter in the extreme cold. It has been in the -30 to -40 below windchill for quite a bit since November. They've had plenty of food which is always available, plus dried mealworms for snacks, get fresh water twice a day since it freezes. Their coop is straw on the floor and straw bales on the side walls with 1"x8" roosting boards. The coop is in the corner of a detached garage, and they have access to the garage all the time. They actually prefer to be in the detached garage itself on pieces of carpet we put in there for them. There isn't heat, but they have a heating lamp hanging over the water in the coop. They remain social with us, and when its sunny out and warmer have ventured out looking for bugs in the dirt below the snow. This is our second winter with the chickens, and they didn't lose weight like this last year, but it wasn't as cold either. I'm concerned. What else can I do?

Are you sure they are losing weight? When cold, birds will flatten their feathers against their body.
How many hours of daylight do you have? Birds do not eat after dark.
Your birds do not sound sick in any way. What kind of food are you feeding them?

Are you sure they are losing weight? When cold, birds will flatten their feathers against their body.
How many hours of daylight do you have? Birds do not eat after dark.
Your birds do not sound sick in any way. What kind of food are you feeding them?
Purina chicken feed for laying hens. They’ve actually spent the winter usually really puffed up to keep warm. About 10 hours, but they’re inside the garage a lot. We let them out when the weather is halfway decent. They free range during the day normally and in the coop/garage at night.

If you feed then some cracked corn in the evening it will help keep them warm, I too have cold winters and I cook all my birds oatmeal in the morning and serve it to them warm not hot... They eat it all up pretty fast! It gives them extra protein and it also warms them up for the day. My flocks are over 100 birds all layers and it is time consuming but it does work!

Purina chicken feed for laying hens. They’ve actually spent the winter usually really puffed up to keep warm. About 10 hours, but they’re inside the garage a lot. We let them out when the weather is halfway decent. They free range during the day normally and in the coop/garage at night.
Inside the garage a lot? Oh, that's bad. Birds should never be brought inside and outside constantly, they need to climatize. If your coop is actually heated, that could pose a problem- but if not, it might be okay.
What is the protein content of your feed? I would suggest getting off that layer feed asap, and consider keeping food and water inside the coop to increase feed consumption. Also remember too many treats are bad. Have you felt their bodies to evaluate their condition?

If you feed then some cracked corn in the evening it will help keep them warm, I too have cold winters and I cook all my birds oatmeal in the morning and serve it to them warm not hot... They eat it all up pretty fast! It gives them extra protein and it also warms them up for the day. My flocks are over 100 birds all layers and it is time consuming but it does work!
Not to butt in, 17 chickens, but...
Treats (oatmeal, veggies, grains included) should not make up more than 10% of a diet, and if you do feed warm foods make sure they aren't steaming, as that causes frostbite.
This info was not directed to you 17 chickens, just the OP. I see you are in Alberta- hello nieghbor :)

This does not take up more then 10% of daily diet, Tossing them a few hand fulls of corn at night for extra heat and giving them some warm oatmeal in the morning for extra protein! Chickens use a lot of energy to stay warm and to lay eggs! I have free choice layer available all the time for them. But this is what I do! To each their own!!

This does not take up more then 10% of daily diet, Tossing them a few hand fulls of corn at night for extra heat and giving them some warm oatmeal in the morning for extra protein! Chickens use a lot of energy to stay warm and to lay eggs! I have free choice layer available all the time for them. But this is what I do! To each their own!!
As said my info was not directed towards you. I was telling the OP some information they may not have known.
To each their own is certainly true. I would NEVER feed layer feed- too much risk of kidney failure, calcium overdose, etc... it lacks protein as well... I wrote an article on it actually...
But to each their own is very true... what works for your flock will likely not work for everyone...

Ooo. I love the oatmeal idea! On the warmer days they are out at the deer feeder getting cracked corn or at the bird feeder getting sunflower seeds. Thanks!

Inside the garage a lot? Oh, that's bad. Birds should never be brought inside and outside constantly, they need to climatize. If your coop is actually heated, that could pose a problem- but if not, it might be okay.
What is the protein content of your feed? I would suggest getting off that layer feed asap, and consider keeping food and water inside the coop to increase feed consumption. Also remember too many treats are bad. Have you felt their bodies to evaluate their condition?
The garage is unheated so I believe they have acclimated as best they can to -30! Their food and water is inside the coop. Thanks for telling me about the layer feed. We need more tomorrow so we’ll be done with that. We have 9 girls. We give them about 1-2 handfuls of dried mealworms per day (not the hollow kind.).

Back
Top Bottom