Weight of a 9 week old Gooszilla 😆

KristieM75

Chirping
Jun 5, 2022
My Gilbert is now 6 lbs and he’s only 9 week old. That seems huge to me. Does that mean he’s going to be Giant Canada goose? Or is he just chunky monkey? Don’t Canada geese normally get between 7-12 lbs?

Attachments

• B223DB92-62F5-4104-A666-9C7077EAD643.jpeg
    B223DB92-62F5-4104-A666-9C7077EAD643.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 5
  • EBFB1D0E-0D95-4F49-B32D-74DAD546806D.jpeg
    EBFB1D0E-0D95-4F49-B32D-74DAD546806D.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 3
  • 3AF86FF2-BD76-45C8-88D1-777815B63B3B.jpeg
    3AF86FF2-BD76-45C8-88D1-777815B63B3B.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 4
  • 67197BD2-3364-4B99-BDEA-0A259BDC9514.jpeg
    67197BD2-3364-4B99-BDEA-0A259BDC9514.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 4
He looks like a Canada goose. I love his name, and he's co cute!
He may have his full flight feathers now. The ones I watch (wild ones) are at 7 weeks - almost as big as adult and just starting to look like they have full wings. I expect them to fly very soon.

I'm not sure about weight - 6 lbs. does not sound like much to me, as I had a ferret that was 5. But maybe because bird bones are light? Is he as big as a Canada Goose now?

Last edited:
So I just look it up and it says most adults are between 5 and 14 pounds, but some can weight up to 20!

Which reminded I had also learned there are subspecies of the Canada Geese, the only difference being size.

He may have his full flight feathers now. The ones I watch (wild ones) are at 7 weeks - almost as big as adult and just starting to look like they have full wings. I expect them to fly very soon.

I'm not sure about weight - 6 lbs. does not sound like much to me, as I had a ferret that was 5. But maybe because bird bones are light? Is he as big as a Canada Goose now?
I’d absolutely love if my guy would
Fly! Any links you can share with me would be awesome!!

Last edited:

He’s not nearly as big as he’s going to get and remember, he’s only 9 weeks old, and already weighs 6 lbs. I wonder if maybe he might be overweight? Or if this is normal. And yes, he is a Canada goose…he was maybe 4 days old when He was brought to me. I knew absolutely NOTHING about geese either, I still don’t know much..as you can tell by my questions..I think I’m going to be the crazy person running around my neighborhood while flapping my arms with a goose chasing me 🤣 just to try and get him to fly. 😎

Another way to tell the stage of maturity is by the feathering. Gilbert still has some little baby down on his neck and top of his head. This will disappear soon until his whole neck is smooth black feathers. When the wings are finished, you will see the long flight feathers held on his back. They will reach almost as far as his tail.

This is the group I've been watching. You can see just little bits of the baby fuzz on some of their necks. A couple have gone all black now. You can see the wings are short over their backs - when the flight feathers grow in they will extend all the way across their back. When they open their wings now, they look fully feathered. But are still lacking the long flight feathers on the ends.
1655470194488.png

If he does figure out how to fly, it may be some cause for worry - in case he flies off a ways and doesn't know how to get back home, or you lose him. He won't have learned how to stay safe maybe?

There's a movie I really enjoyed that taught me some things about what geese need. "Fly Away Home." Maybe you've seen it. It's based on a true story of a man who took in some geese in Canada, and then taught them how to migrate.

It's on Hulu and Amazon - and can get DVD from Amazon.
Fly Away Home
1655471681815.png

Last edited:
He’s not nearly as big as he’s going to get and remember, he’s only 9 weeks old, and already weighs 6 lbs. I wonder if maybe he might be overweight? Or if this is normal. And yes, he is a Canada goose…he was maybe 4 days old when He was brought to me. I knew absolutely NOTHING about geese either, I still don’t know much..as you can tell by my questions..I think I’m going to be the crazy person running around my neighborhood while flapping my arms with a goose chasing me 🤣 just to try and get him to fly. 😎
So you hope he flies away eventually?
he looks good to me. They do most of their growing and in their first 12 weeks of life so 6lbs is probably about right. Unless your feeding him things other than his feed.
He sure is a precious gosling.

Another way to tell the stage of maturity is by the feathering. Gilbert still has some little baby down on his neck and top of his head. This will disappear soon until his whole neck is smooth black feathers. When the wings are finished, you will see the long flight feathers held on his back. They will reach almost as far as his tail.

This is the group I've been watching. You can see just little bits of the baby fuzz on some of their necks. A couple have gone all black now. You can see the wings are short over their backs - when the flight feathers grow in they will extend all the way across their back. When they open their wings now, they look fully feathered. But are still lacking the long flight feathers on the ends.
View attachment 3151879

If he does figure out how to fly, it may be some cause for worry - in case he flies off a ways and doesn't know how to get back home, or you lose him. He won't have learned how to stay safe maybe?

There's a movie I really enjoyed that taught me some things about what geese need. "Fly Away Home." Maybe you've seen it. It's based on a true story of a man who took in some geese in Canada, and then taught them how to migrate.

Fly Away Home
View attachment 3151906
I love that damn movie💖🖤💖 I tried to get it but shows you have to purchase it to watch it and I’m not
So you hope he flies away eventually?
he looks good to me. They do most of their growing and in their first 12 weeks of life so 6lbs is probably about right. Unless your feeding him things other than his feed.
He sure is a precious gosling.
not like fly away forever, I just don’t want to take that away from him. He watches the birds outside every morning and is just so fascinated about them..oh..I’m glad he’s a good weight!

View attachment 3151879

Fly Away Home
View attachment 3151906
Found it on Hulu!! 🙌🙌🙌thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom