~*~Weimaraner and Great Dane Official Club!~*~

right now we are workin on upland bird trainin. he gets the flush and locks on well but i swear..the owner who had him before me must have beat him with a gun. i can pull out a pistol or rifle and he doesn't flinch but man i shuck a round into the shotgun and he hits the dirt. it has taken me almsot a year to get him to trust me with the shotgun and its goin well. i shot a goose other day and he tried retrieving it until he got stuck in the mud (i got stuck myself it was bad) but he has become an amazin deer trackin dog. that only took a few sessions before he picked it up but workin on his blind manners has been a bit of an issue he gets to eager to get out there and run. also his prey instinct has been rough to deal with when a rabbit or something takes off. usually the small critter dies -_-

and i bet, ill admit that is the first picture of one i have ever seen. what are the rigors of ownin one?

Quote:
I THINK you were just joking about the previous owner, but I do wonder why some dogs are gun shy. My SIL rescued/adopted a black lab who'd cringe and hide at gun fire.
sad.png

That's interesting (and makes sense) Kevin, about your wolf-dogs not handing out trust like the more domesticated, standard dog. It made me think of "Call of the Wild." It's one of my favorite books from when I was a kid, although I've reread it several times through the years as an adult.

Goofy - your big blocky danes make my guy look rather effeminate and dainty...lol. Where are the puppy pictures?????
pop.gif

Quote:
1. Food Aggression. Almost EVERY Mid to high content is going to have food aggression. Mine have it toward each other but not the danes.

2. Alot of people advise adding raw meat in.

3. Depending on the content they may not be able to be house broken

4. Exercise, exercise, exercise. They need alot of running and playing.

5. Training has to start from day one.

6.Howling. They will howl often and very loudly.

7. They can't get away with some of the stuff a puppy could. They can't get used to jumping you and chewing on your stuff. This is dangerous if left till adult hood.

8. Teeth difference is amazing. Their teeth are giant in comparison to a dog similar size.

9. They scent roll alot. It's quite fun to watch

10. They don't have the same heat cycle dogs have

11. Once you've earned their trust you have a friend for life.

12. They live quite long for a large breed.

Quote:
I THINK you were just joking about the previous owner, but I do wonder why some dogs are gun shy. My SIL rescued/adopted a black lab who'd cringe and hide at gun fire.
sad.png

That's interesting (and makes sense) Kevin, about your wolf-dogs not handing out trust like the more domesticated, standard dog. It made me think of "Call of the Wild." It's one of my favorite books from when I was a kid, although I've reread it several times through the years as an adult.

Goofy - your big blocky danes make my guy look rather effeminate and dainty...lol. Where are the puppy pictures?????
pop.gif

I love that book as well.
smile.png

Quote:
sad.png

pop.gif

I will have to get some
wink.png

actually this is why i fell like he was hit with a gun and i have been around many dogs and hunted with many dogs. soem gun dogs will just duck down from gun fire or hide. Bosch on the other hand will hit the ground when he hears it and the crawl towards me in a very submissive manner. if you even go near him with the gun (not having fired a shot yet) and start to bring it up he will show his teeth then drops down and will back away from you. and if anyone tries to grab his back legs (even petting him) he will snap at you and it took me months for him to let me do this and even now he watches me with ears pulled back and intently. so i have wondered it several times because even just fussin at him if you come at him quickly or raise a hand he drops down. he is a great dog and has come to trust me. i have gotten him to the point he will lay down behind me when i shoot (wearing doggie muffs) and let him sniff and know all of my guns.

Thanks, Teach. The pic in front of the coop is from last year. The others are from when he was about 5 years old. He has a lot more gray on his muzzle now but he is still a looker. I will have to take a new picture of him and post it.

Back
Top Bottom