weird 5th toe, not a silkie!

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
ok, 3 week old baby, was supposed to be a bantam cochin. But I know cochins don't have a 5th toe. The thing is, this is like no 5th toe I have ever seen. So what do you guys think? birth defect or mix, and what breed do you think? and should it be culled with this toe? I bought it from a breeder, not my line of birds. its also a bantam, so worthless to me for eggs. I would like to know what it is if I rehome it to someone else who doesn't breed.nk
? ...

Interesting bird, it's definitely a mix of some sort, not purebred. What's really interesting is that the 5th toe gene is usually kinda hard to breed for. But there's always random gene mutation I suppose.

I have 4 chicks that are a mix between OEGB and Silkies...and 2 of them have toes like that...my understanding is that my chick's mama is 50/50 - OEGB/Silkie and the dad is "mostly" a OEGB but also has some Silkie in him...any way, ours are just "pets" so we don't mind it at all. It's actually one of the only ways we can tell two of the chicks apart!

I have 4 chicks that are a mix between OEGB and Silkies...and 2 of them have toes like that...my understanding is that my chick's mama is 50/50 - OEGB/Silkie and the dad is "mostly" a OEGB but also has some Silkie in him...any way, ours are just "pets" so we don't mind it at all. It's actually one of the only ways we can tell two of the chicks apart!
if I had acres of space, I wouldn't mind. But I don't so I don't have space to hold him/her over....I am trying to see if the seller will swap him for another....

I should add that the coloring on mine is totally different, so I'm not suggesting that it's the same breed - just that mine do have toes like that!

i have a week old RIR x Silkie that has the 5th toe on both feet, i thought it was spurs at first, then after research realized it was a 5th toe lol.

Back
Top Bottom