weird 5th toe, not a silkie!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicknadventure, May 21, 2012.

1. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    ok, 3 week old baby, was supposed to be a bantam cochin. But I know cochins don't have a 5th toe. The thing is, this is like no 5th toe I have ever seen. So what do you guys think? birth defect or mix, and what breed do you think? and should it be culled with this toe? I bought it from a breeder, not my line of birds. its also a bantam, so worthless to me for eggs. I would like to know what it is if I rehome it to someone else who doesn't breed.[​IMG]nk
    [​IMG][​IMG]? ...

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Not sure but it looks like a little roo. So it'll only be good as a pet or someone who don't care

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    It could be a mix, very interesting.

4. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    gosh, if its a roo, then it will def be culled.....

5. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Interesting bird, it's definitely a mix of some sort, not purebred. What's really interesting is that the 5th toe gene is usually kinda hard to breed for. But there's always random gene mutation I suppose.

6. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have 4 chicks that are a mix between OEGB and Silkies...and 2 of them have toes like that...my understanding is that my chick's mama is 50/50 - OEGB/Silkie and the dad is "mostly" a OEGB but also has some Silkie in him...any way, ours are just "pets" so we don't mind it at all. It's actually one of the only ways we can tell two of the chicks apart!

7. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    if I had acres of space, I wouldn't mind. But I don't so I don't have space to hold him/her over....I am trying to see if the seller will swap him for another....

8. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I should add that the coloring on mine is totally different, so I'm not suggesting that it's the same breed - just that mine do have toes like that!

9. BaddNewz

BaddNewz Hatching

Apr 22, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    i have a week old RIR x Silkie that has the 5th toe on both feet, i thought it was spurs at first, then after research realized it was a 5th toe lol.

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Dorkings, Faverolles, Houdans, and Sultans are some other breeds that I can think of off hand that have the extra toe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: